We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec City to Montreal Trudeau Airport

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Quebec City to Montreal Trudeau Airport

My husband and I have been planning our 9 day trip to Montreal & Quebec. We have been reading the questions and comments on this forum and they've been very helpful - thank you so much.

I just want to make sure we understand how to take the train to our destinations. We plan to take a taxi from where we are staying in Montreal (near Notre Dame de Grâce parc ) to the Central Train Station (VIA Rail) on Rue de la Gauchetiere, Quest. We plan to depart on the 1:00pm schedule which will take a little over 3 hours and put us into Quebec City's train station (450 rue de la Gare du Palais).

When we take the train back to Montreal to fly home, we plan to spend the night by the airport (Montreal Airport Marriott hotel, Dorval) because we have to be at the airport for an 8:00am flight back to San Francisco.

Do we get off at the Central Train Station again and take a taxi to the hotel, or does the Train continue on, closer to the airport, which would be a shorter taxi ride to the hotel?

Hopefully we can clarify the transportation from central Montreal to Quebec City and back to the Montreal Airport - thanks for your input.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec City to Montreal Trudeau Airport

Unfortunately, you cannot take Via Rail trains to Dorval from Central Station as it is a commuter service by another company, in another station, (even if Toronto and Ottawa trains all stop in Dorval from Central Station!!!)

Regarding the commuter train to Dorval at Lucien Lallier Station... (4 blocks West of Central Station, just beside the Bell Centre) Here is the schedule... if you decide to walk there.

www.amt.qc.ca/Train_Ligne_Horaire.aspx…

If it's too complicated... just grab a taxi at the station...

Another option would be to take the bus directly from Québec to Dorval airport... and get the hotel to pick you up...

www.orleansexpress.com/SearchResult.aspx…

It's an option that could help... if Via Rail employees go on strike (it was in the news yesterday).. and they have to reduce services...

Mentioned in this post
Bell Centre
Bell Centre
1,374 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Dorval
Dorval
Quebec, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Montreal
Level Contributor
4,924 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec City to Montreal Trudeau Airport

I just saw that the Marriott is at the airport... If I were you, i would definately use the bus from Québec.. 4 hours.. directly to your hotel... no fuss.. and cheaper, I'm sure...

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec City to Montreal Trudeau Airport

There are actually 2 train stations by the airport -- the commuter station run by AMT whose trains leave from the Lucien-L'Allier train station, and Via's where trains leave from the Central Station or come in from, say, Toronto or Ottawa.

And you CAN take Via from downtown to Dorval; they used to have a service for $12 called Air Connect; now, that refers only to the free shuttle from the Via train station to the airport which still runs every 20 minutes or so; however, if you're coming in from the east, you need to buy a ticket that goes all the way to Dorval -- if you buy it separately, it's $23, but you will have to change trains since it is not the same one that comes in from Québec City, which means probably waiting a bit.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Ottawa
Ottawa
Ontario, Canada
Dorval
Dorval
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec City to Montreal Trudeau Airport

Uh, oh... I just checked and there are indeed trains that continue from Québec to Dorval, so there may be no need to change after all. Just wait for people to get on and off.

Mentioned in this post
Dorval
Dorval
Quebec, Canada
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec City to Montreal Trudeau Airport

Thank you for all the tips about the train and the bus. I did read about the train strike. I will check out the links. We may just rent a car and drive.

thank you josee19963.

Frances

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec City to Montreal Trudeau Airport

Thank you for checking the train schedules Tristou. We checked the train schedule times and they do not leave as often as the bus. I think we may end up renting a car so we have the flexibility of leaving at a time that is more convenient for us. It seems like a straight shot to Quebec City is just over 2 hours.

Again, all the posts have been very helpful in helping us plan our trip - we couldn't have done it without everyones help.

Thanks, Frances

Mentioned in this post
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec City to Montreal Trudeau Airport

Hi Josee19963:

We just got back from our trip to Montreal/Quebec City and I wanted to let you know that the Marriott (the one that is connected to the checkin terminal at Trudeau is so convenient to stay at if you have an early flight out the next morning. all you have to do is walk from the lobby, down the escalator, right over to checkin (3 min.).

A perfect solution.

Thanks for your help, FrancesG

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Quebec City to Montreal Trudeau Airport

Hi Tristo:

We just got back from our Canada trip. We did end up renting a car from Enterprise because they pick you up if you are within a 10-mile radius. The drive from Montreal to Quebec City took us a little over 3-hours (we got lost), but not a difficult drive.

The drive back to the Enterprise office was easy but got a bit tricky as we tried to figure out the Montreal exits back to the rental car office.

Thanks for all your help.,

FrancesG

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Quebec City
Quebec City
Quebec, Canada
9. Re: Quebec City to Montreal Trudeau Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, September 22, 2014