We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recommendations

Westchester
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Recommendations

We will be in Montreal at the end of July and would like to know of place you have eaten in and would recommend. We like ethnic food, local neighborhood food places and reasonably priced places. Saw a Polish restaurant (can't remember name) , etc. Thanks for your suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Polish you likely saw Stash Cafe.

As for the rest of it, your need to give us better guidelines, because we can recommend places from the low $ to spending a few hundred.

Mentioned in this post
Stash Cafe
Stash Cafe
992 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

This forum has so many posting on this subject...

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Lol! We are not allowed to make the ad nauseam comment! See what happened to me, I was literally hanged, drawn and quartered for doing so!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
787 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

It's so true......

that said....

Schwartz's Deli...Great Montreal smoked meat

Casse-Croute La Banquise.....Best poutine I ever had

Edited: 6:28 pm, June 09, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Schwartz's
Schwartz's
6,014 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
La Banquise
La Banquise
2,423 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Westchester
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Yes it was Stash for Polish food which we like very much. What have you heard about it and have you eaten there? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Stash Cafe
Stash Cafe
992 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,220 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

I've been to Stash Café and am not a huge fan but it is fine ..simple food, some of it greasy.

We just had dinner at Jano and the Portuguese braised chicken was excellent, with crisp skin and moist tender meat, plus it's served with tasty house-made fries.

http://restaurantjano.com

Mentioned in this post
Stash Cafe
Stash Cafe
992 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Florida
Level Contributor
146 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

For ethnic restaurants outside the "tourist" areas, check out Blvd. Jean-Talon. There are number of great Vietnamese restaurants (Nhu Y is one I'd recommend and it's bring-your-own wine) and Indian restaurants (Punjab Palace is good and reasonably priced).

For a funky diner a bit off the beaten track, check out Nouveau Palais on Rue Bernard. Best sweet potato pie I've ever had, and I'm from the South! Also fairly priced.

I've mentioned it over and over, but can't say enough about Mon Nan's on Rue de la Gauchetiere in Chinatown. Very economical and absolutely delicious every time. Also check out the bakeries on the same street for lunch - you can get savory buns with pork, curry beef, etc. for a couple dollars.

Satay Brothers and Pizza Mia in Atwater Market are good for inexpensive lunches.

Mentioned in this post
Satay Brothers
Satay Brothers
152 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Atwater Market
Atwater Market
571 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
76 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

So I have this restaurant, La Banquise, on my list of places to go eat poutine while in MOntreal next month. I looked at their website and they have so many different kinds listed. I honestly really don't know anything about poutine except for what I researched but still a little confused. Do I just look at the ingredients and choose the ingredients that I like? Or is their a popular one that I should try? I hope this question is not too dumb. Thanks in advance for your response.

Mentioned in this post
La Banquise
La Banquise
2,423 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,220 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Good question, BriaN. I would say try a classic poutine (La Classique) if you never have, it consists of fries, cheese curds and sauce. And keep in mind that this place serves huge poutines so choose portion size with that in mind.

Greenville, North...
Level Contributor
76 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Recommendations

Thanks innaMontreal. :)