We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Living large in Montreal

New England
Level Contributor
275 posts
Save Topic
Living large in Montreal

Everytime i have been to Canada I have stayed at the Lord Berri, or some budget hotel... but still had the time of my life.

I would love to go up there and just spend lots of money on a special vacation, like New Yrs Eve.

What is the best hotel to stay at with lots of action.... the W ?? I wouldnt mind spending whatever .. i mean im not rich but it would be nice to go up there and spend some dough, drink champagne, eat at some fancy restaurants... What is the best hotel, the best restaurant, etc. etc.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
507 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Living large in Montreal

You sound like someone who's into the club scene, so the W Montreal would probably be a good choice. You might also want to try out the following:

Hotel Godin, Hotel Gault, Hotel Le St. James, Sofitel Montreal, Loews Hotel Vogue, Ritz-Carlton Montreal, etc. All of these are pretty good hotels, with different atmosphere for each so it would all depend on your preference.

If you are looking for more specific information, feel free to e-mail me at emmanuel.chan@sympatico.ca

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Living large in Montreal

Restaurants:

Globe/Buona Notte/Time/Sofias are all supper clubs that will offer up a guaranteed crazy time for New Years eve if you got some cash and dress to impress (no polos!!)

Wakefield, RI
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Living large in Montreal

"Globe/Buona Notte/Time/Sofias are all supper clubs that will offer up a guaranteed crazy time for New Years eve if you got some cash and dress to impress (no polos!!)"

That would explain why they wouldn't seat us at the Sofitel's restaurant, Renoir. I was in a dress but hubby was in khakis and a short sleeve, collared casual shirt. They didn't refuse us, they just ignored us completelty until we went away and this was with the restaurant half empty.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Living large in Montreal

Sorry to hear that Sheila :(

Wakefield, RI
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Living large in Montreal

Thanks, AudreyBella. It wasn't so bad. We had actually already had dinner and I didn't like the dessert menu where we were so, I thought we'd go have coffee & dessert at Renoir. When we realized we weren't going to be seated, we just went back across the street to the Ritz Carlton and had a great creme brulee.

Ottawa, Ontario...
Level Contributor
281 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Living large in Montreal

Boston Yankee -

Yes, if you're a 20something (or 20something at heart) and love the uber-cool, the W is definately the way to go. Stayed there last weekend and it was just wonderful, from the service, to the location, to the room.

The one caviet I would offer would be it's really meant for couples or the uber-cool single. With it's notorious "voyeur" shower, it's not the type of place to stay with 3-6 buddies or girlfriends for a party weekend.

Cheers,

Noel

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Living large in Montreal

Sheila, I guess its their loss and am glad to hear that you went to Ritz and enjoyed your cream burlee.

Montreal
Level Contributor
979 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Living large in Montreal

hi there,

the Hotel de la Montagne on de la Montagne st is a good place to start, as it has Thursday's bar and disco, as well as a piano bar.The Sheraton hotel is centrally located on Rene Levesque st and has nice rooms. The Delta is also nice,near the Palais des Congres(convention) and the "W". As for restaurants and clubs, Cresent st is happening , as well as St Laurent st. hope this helpful.