We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help planning!!

Cary NC
Level Contributor
123 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
help planning!!

My boyfriend and I will be visiting Quebec for the first time and I have several questions to ensure a great trip. We will be flying into and out of Montreal and want to spend our first three nights in Montreal and then four nights in Quebec City. We love shopping, wine, restaurants, and cute charming historic towns/buildings. Here are my questions?

1. We were planning on renting a car. Is this a bad idea? Are there better options to get around and get from Montreal to Quebec City and back, or is a car the most logical choice?

2. If we go with the car, how difficult is it to drive there. Neither of us speak French. I can deal with traffic, but am not crazy about aggressive drivers in extremely congested areas.

3. Any recommendations for what area to stay in for each location?

4. Any places we should check out on our way between Montreal and Quebec City?

5. How is the weather at the very end of Aug/beginning of Sept?

Thanks!

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help planning!!

If I were you, I would spend more time in Montreal and less in Quebec City. Montreal has 4m people and is about 7x the size of Quebec City.

1. Car is useless and a nuisance in both cities. Unless you plan exploring outside these cities, just bus, train or plane between Montreal and Quebec City.

2. Not difficult to drive. Highway between the 2 cities, the highway doesn't offer much interesting views. Drivers in Montreal can be aggressive. The only city in North American apart from NYC where you can't turn right on a red light.

3. Since you mention you like architecture stay at the gault hotel in Montreal and auberge st Antoine in Quebec City.

4. White i dont recommend given you only have a week, you could check out the eastern townships or the city of trois rivieres (founded in 1634).

5. Go to weatherunderground.com and get the monthly almanac. Generally, Quebec City will be cooler and windier than Montreal n

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,740 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help planning!!

Platipus has touched all the basics. I agree, no need for a car. The train is very convenient and centrally located in both cities. Others recommend the bus only because it runs more often but for comfort the train wins. And I also agree, 4 days Montreal, 3 days Quebec City. You could also do 2 nights Montreal, then the train to Quebec City for 3 nights, then back to Montreal for the final 2.

Yes, stay in Old Montreal. know of the Gault but havewn't stayed there. We've stayed at Auberge Bonaparte, a nice small hotel with a terrific restaurant as well.

In Quebec City I would recommend staying at either the Chateau Frontenac, or the Auberge Place d'Armes, both in Upper Town.

And I do agree, if you decide to drive the Eastern Townships are very nice, easterntownships.org.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help planning!!

Very good suggestions already from Platipus. I will just had expand a bit.

1-Ditto for cars in the cities. In Montréal many sectors are within distances to each others and the public transit is very good, particularly the métro (subway) system. Intercity bus company has great service from both cities with departures every hour, on the hour from Mtl and every half hour in Qc. This bus service is way better than what Greyhound in Southern USA is. Train has only a few departures per day but it is more relaxing with plenty of legroom. Bought on net really well in advance it can be cheap, otherwise over the price of the bus. Bus is by Orléans Express and train by Via Rail

2-So as you have read not necessary to go to all the trouble of renting a car just for the drive between the cities, particularly since they is very little to see or stops that you should make. Driving in French, no real problem since there is a lot of pictograms used. Your main problem will be the conversion of kilometers to miles.

3-Hôtels dépends on budget, tell us a bit more about yours and please real $ since my moderate could be your expensive or vice -versa. In Montréal you can think of renting in downtown, Old Montréal or the Plateau areas. Latin Quarter is a bit rough at the edge but still great for budget lodging. Qc you want to stay in the historical parts of Lower and Upper Towns or close by in Novo Saint-Roch, Quartier Saint-Jean Baptiste, Cité Parlementaire or Grande Allée. Then everything will be tat walking distance and the funicular will help you to negotiate the 200+ cliff between Upper and Lower Towns. Have a look at the hôtels reviews on TA and thenselect some and get back to us to validate your choices.

4- Already mentioned the boring time, highways, trains, buses all travel in the Plain of Saint-Lawrence which is just that: plain!

5- The weather at this time of the year is really unpredictable, most of times a nice autumn weather bet at others it can be rainy. Platipus is right though about Qc being colder and windier than Mtl.

4. Re: help planning!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 7:35 pm, May 24, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,319 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help planning!!

Sorry Orléans E but you cannot do autopromotion on TA, your reply will be reported as such and removed.

6. Re: help planning!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 26, 2014