We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

boil water advisory

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,900 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
boil water advisory

This is temporary but nevertheless, boil water or buy bottled water for the moment.

more info here:

cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/05/22…

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: boil water advisory

The Whole island is pretty much under this advisory, i'm trying to rationalize to my wife we should stock up on more beer.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,900 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: boil water advisory

:))

And I'm wondering if I can bring a bottle of water to a BYOB resto ..after the $7 bottle of Eska at lunch yesterday, with the worst-ever halibut, at F Bar, where they must have ran out of salt.

Edited: 11:12 am, May 23, 2013
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: boil water advisory

Wow, cheaper to drink wine at that price.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,900 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: boil water advisory

It was $6.50 + tax and tip, so even over 7 dollars, actually ..but a large bottle that the 2 of us shared.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: boil water advisory

After working 30 plus years in the milk processing plant on St Jacques st. NDG (Parmalat) i got to wondering how that plant and many other food orientated plants do their extensive nightly washup routines.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: boil water advisory

Very good question. The water issue must be hitting many businesses hard. Boiling water will work for regular households, but that is just not possible for medical and industrial centres.

I am a little shocked at the crazy shopping for single serve water bottles on the news. People seem to go a little crazy. I refuse to buy bottled water. Boiling is fine.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: boil water advisory

I just paid $5 for 4 X 4liter bottles of Labrador water at Sami's fruit and vegetable market in Lasalle, they got pallets of the stuff.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,323 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: boil water advisory

I also refuse to buy bottled water and not only the smaller sizes. My only exception is when it is sparkling water. So why that crazyness? Boiling water takes minutes and about an hour to cool down on the counter. Note that this recommendation is for just a minute of boiling so the expectation of having dangerous microbes are very low, otherwise it would be recommended to boil it for 3 or 5 minutes.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: boil water advisory

Same here Rick. My kids know to take a reusable bottle out with them or they will get to die of thirst. The throw away culture makes me weep.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,900 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: boil water advisory

Things are back to normal, tap water has been deemed safe to drink.

"Thus ends the largest boil-water advisory Montreal has ever experienced"

cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2013/05/23…