We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Zero 1 Montreal - location?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Launceston...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Hotel Zero 1 Montreal - location?

Hi everyone

Myself and husband (both mid-late 20's) are travelling to Montreal for 5 nights in December as part of a 4 week America and Canada trip. Our Montreal stay is in the middle of our trip, and we are thinking this will be our time to slow down and relax a little, as the rest of the holiday is looking fairly jam-packed!

We are looking at the Hotel Zero 1 for a number of reasons, the main ones being that it is within our budget and the room we are looking at, a HIP room, has a microwave, fridge and coffee maker - exactly what we need to make our own breakfast and keep some food in case we want to stay in one night.

I'm just wondering about the location though - I've been reading about the different areas and the location seems good to me, between Old Montreal and Downtown, and right across from Chinatown, but for some reason I'm hesitating on booking it! In terms of location probably the two most important things for us is that there is food close by - cafes, restaurants, grocery shops, doesn't matter as long as its close if we don't really feel like venturing far one day. The other thing is access to transport if we do want to venture further out than walking distance, is good public transport close by? Also is anyone able to give me an idea of how long it would take to walk from the hotel to Old Montreal, just to give me an idea when I'm looking at the map!

I feel like I've written an essay now, sorry about that. But thank you in advance for anyone who can offer some insight!

Montreal
Level Contributor
3,977 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Zero 1 Montreal - location?

There is a grocery store at Complexe Desjardins located 1 bloc west.(Metro)

That area is not the greatest in town but it is NOT dangerous! It is THE best area for prostitution (Ste-Catherine and St-Laurent... 1 bloc North of your hotel)

You may find cafés Inside Complexe Desjardins... and nice restaurant upstairs from Theatre du Nouveau Monde (Ste-Catherine and Saint -Urbain)

tnm.qc.ca/cafe-du-nouveau-monde/cafe-du-nouv… (Only French link...Sorry)

For Old Montréal... a 5-10 min walk South...

You have 2 Metro stations (2 different lines) at about 5 min walk (2 blocs) St-Laurent and Place D'Armes.

Edited: 6:11 am, May 07, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,956 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Zero 1 Montreal - location?

Exactly that 5 minutes one way or another from métro stations on different lines. Add 3 minutes and you will be in Old Mtl. The store at Complexe Desjardins is in fact a large supermarket and you have plenty of small groceries in Chinatown.

Beside Café du Nouveau Monde, there are plenty of restaurants in a less than 10 minutes walk radius, including the many Chinese ones in Chinatown but also a fair share of basic but yummy Vietnamese cafés. Those are usually nice in winter as they are offering large bowls of Pho soup that is really heartwarming.

As per the «unsavory» reputation of the neighbourhood let's say that it is an area in transition, used to be the Red Light District but now part of the newish Quartier des Spectacles where high tech companies can coexist side by side with strip clubs. But the prostitutes were the first to decamp to more eastern locations so you will probably miss them if you were expecting some «action». lol! But there are stilll a few unsavory characters around, going into the few remaining low class bars and clubs and eat a steamed hot dog at the Montréal Pool Room. But they are not menacing or whanot.

Last piece of advice is that you should make reservation right at the hotel switchboard and not through the Internet. You will get the best prices and might get free upgrades to rooms with full kitchen.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Zero 1 Montreal - location?

Thank you both for your responses, glad to know its not a dangerous area and there's plenty of food and transport around. I have emailed the hotel directly to arrange a booking.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Zero 1 Montreal - location?

Hi again, our travel agent has now recommended another hotel which we can get for the same price as the Hotel Zero 1 and I am wondering whether this is in a better location? The other hotel we are now considering is Novotel Montreal Center, which seems to be in walking distance to lots of shops, restaurants etc.

Which would you choose based purely on location - Hotel Zero 1 or Novotel Montreal Center?

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
74 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Zero 1 Montreal - location?

I had same dilemma & for months couldn't decide between Hotel 1, Hotel 10 b/c they ran promotions for $120 a night all of April (if ur paying more than that it's too much). Novatel was much pricer - about $180/night all of April & May. Not sure how these two hotels could be close in price now since your travel agent is now recomennding Novatel? Book package on Priceline yourself. You'll probably save hundreds than paying travel agent fee. Just last week I got deal of the century - roundtrip airfare (good flight times) & 4 nights from San Diego to Montreal for grand total $822. Yes, I bit the bullet & settled on 3 star hotel but I wont be in room for this trip so my usual 4* wasn't necessary. This way I have more $ to shop, and so will you. P.S. it woulda been even cheaper if I wasn't traveling solo Good luck!

Launceston...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Zero 1 Montreal - location?

Hi, thanks for your response. Both the Novotel and Hotel Zero 1 work out to be around $125 per night which is our budget and I think is fairly reasonable for the time of year we are going. The Hotel Zero 1 price we can get by booking directly with the hotel and the Novotel is through the travel agent. There are no agent fees either so we don't need to factor that in. Its really right down to which location will be best.

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
74 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Zero 1 Montreal - location?

$125 is a great price for novatel. I'm going this weekend to Montreal, and if u don't book by time I get back May 29, I can report back. I would stay @ Novatel. It's a major hotel chain (except in US), and usually a business clientele driven hotel chain. All the Novatels I have stayed at in Europe were nice, and nicer than the local boutique hotels (which I think Hotel Zero may be?), and Engligh wasn't a problem since they cater to business clientele. Two total different feels u gotta chose between Hotel Zero looks hip & trendy, but rooms look tiny & dark from pics online.

Launceston...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Zero 1 Montreal - location?

TurboKickChick, thank you for your offer to report back!! That would be fantastic, we won't be booking before early June I would say as our Montreal stay is part of a larger US/Canada trip and we haven't decided on our other hotels yet.

After reading reviews etc I am leaning towards Novotel. I usually prefer boutique hotels but we do have Novotels here in Australia and I have always found the rooms and amenities to be nice. The price is also fantastic, as that includes breakfast for 2.

I have also had a look on Google street view at the two hotels and the surrounding areas, and whilst the Zero 1 is closer to Old Montreal which looks quaint and lovely, the Novotel is so close to St-Catherine Street which I've read is fantastic for shopping, so thinking there will be more restaurants/bars etc close to the Novotel than the Zero 1.

I find choosing hotels to be the most difficult part of planning a trip, so thank you so much for your assistance!

9. Re: Hotel Zero 1 Montreal - location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 25, 2014