We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels May 21-25

Alberta
10 posts
Save Topic
Hotels May 21-25

I have an opportunity to visit Montreal the week following the Victoria Day holiday (May 21-25). My favourite hotel, Hotel de l'Institut on Rue St. Denis is fully booked that week (it is rarely completely full). I've also noticed a lot of hotels are sold out or have higher than normal rates. Is there something happening in Montreal that week creating high demand? Grad week?

Thanks in advance

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,111 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels May 21-25

Nothing major happening. I check this website... and couldn't find anything major...

bonjourquebec.com/us-en/…

You should ask the ITHQ.. they might have a private event of some kind.

Alberta
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels May 21-25

I just heard back from them and they indicated they are sold out on May 23 only so you may be correct. I've booked May 20-23 and need another night so will have to switch hotels.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels May 21-25

I really don't know why. If it would be the week-end after Victoria week-end that would make sense since it is Memorial Day in the US. That always brings a lot of Americans in Montréal, particularly at that time college kids and, on the other hand, seniors but the week days sandwiched in between? Probably a very big convention in town.

Just for the fun of it, since it is heavily advertized on the French TV networks, I ran a search on trivago.ca and found plenty of possibilities.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,354 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels May 21-25

A couple of times they have been sold out for me too. It isn't a huge hotel and I guess it's popularity has this effect.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels May 21-25

Focusing on Hotel de l'Institut, I must mention that since the school is owned by the government the civil servants from Québec City that have to spend a few days in Montréal get priority over there and special government prices.

Another possibility is when the school is doing an intensive 1 week course for professionals and the ones taking these courses have lodging in the hotel included in their package but there is less and less of those nowadays.

Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels May 21-25

There is an international conference over that week: C2-MTL.

Alberta
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels May 21-25

Thanks for all of the replies. I really love staying in that area, it's the perfect location IMHO. The Kutuma has rooms available but for over $200 a night, too much for me. I could stay at the Square Phillips (I did so in 2003, a great hotel then) but it's a bit far from where people I know will be staying. I would have to head back there every night, I so loved having Hotel de L'Institut down the street from them. Bad timing on my part, I like the idea of having a familiar hotel in a great neighbourhood to return to as a home away from home. Not sure what I will do.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,008 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels May 21-25

Try either the small hotel Château de l'Argoat or the very well rated Gingerbread Manor B&B in the same area as l'Hôtel de l'Institut.

9. Re: Hotels May 21-25

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 02, 2014