We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report (May 26th to May 29th):

maryland
Level Contributor
390 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report (May 26th to May 29th):

Friday, May 26th:

We started our day late around 11am. We walked to "Chez Coras" from our hotel located at 1425, Rue Stanley for breakfast (intersection of St. catherine and Stanley). The menu was huge with a lot of things to choose from and we enjoyed our food. After breakfast, we took the Peel Metro located near Chez Coras green line straight to PIE-IX). We saw Olympic Park, took the cable car ride to the top and took a tour of the Olympic Stadium. All this took an hour and a half. The cable car ride is just o.k. We mainly did it because that was the highlight for my 3-year old child. We then went to the Biodome and saw the 3 ecosystems on display which again my 3-year old enjoyed a lot. Around 4:30pm we took the metro from PIE-IX to BERRI-UQAM to explore the street of St. Denis. We loved St. Denis especially because it was getting dark and there were lots of lights and music on the streets. We had dinner at "Thai" restaurant and it was superb, very tasty with the right amount of spices. This restaurant is located next to "Napoli" on St. Denis. After dinner, we went to "Brioche Lyonnaise" on 1593 St. Denis for coffee and Dessert.

"Brioche Lyonnaise" serves fine pastries, all loaded with butter, cream, fruit and dusted with sugar and also has some very fine chocolates. We thought that this cafe was awesome, dessert was great, menu was good with a lot of variety, service was very nice and people were friendly.

After dessert, my husband alongwith my 3-year old decided to walk back to our hotel.

We took St. Denis to St. Catherine Street, enjoyed the nightlife, bar scene, strip clubs etc.. and even got pulled by a local

at the intersection of St. Catherine and Union street trying her best to convert us : - ) By the time we got back to our hotel it was

midnight.

A day well spent exploring the vibrant streets of Montreal!!!

Saturday, May 27th:

This day I had reservations for the Lachine Rapids Jet Boating Tour at 10am. (Jak, aren't you happy that I finally did it)? We got out of the hotel around 7am and took the metro from our hotel ( Bonaventure to Mont Royal Station) to have breakfast at St. Viateur bagel and cafe on 1127 avenue, Mont Royal East. I thought

that this bagel place was o.k. After that we walked back to the metro station around 8:15 am and took the metro to Champ de-Mars. Walked to the old port of Montreal to the Lachine Rapids Jet Boating Pier. I left my "bitter half" and 3-year old child and anxiously waited for the ride to begin. Thanks Jak one more time for the recommendation.

Before the tour the guy asked me if I wanted to go on the "Mild or Wild" jet boating ride? Without any hesitation I said "Wild"

and they put me on the orange boat at the end of the middle seat. WOW!!! I had a great time. The ride was awesome though I wish

it would have been a little longer : - ) Next time I will sit all the way in the front : - ). I highly recommend this to people who visit

montreal.

After the jet boating ride, my family walked to Place Jacques-Cartier where we spent an hour watching entertainers etc.. Had fun and my son also got a whale tatoo which i thought was cute. We walked the streets of old montreal, exploring the shops especially on St. Paul, St. Sulpice and then had lunch at Pizzedelic on Notre dame street. After lunch we went inside Notre-Dame Basilica around 3pm. I loved this church, very beautiful architecture and lots of history. We also saw a wedding taking place there. Obviously, we had to wait outside till the wedding was over and saw the happy couple coming outside where the crowd greeted them.

Again, we decided to walk back to our hotel from Old Montreal. We saw bank of Montreal and the commerce building. On our way we explored St. Jacques, Square Victoria, and took St. Antoine-

University-Le Gauchetier, had coffee at Tim Hortons, and got back to our hotel around 4:30pm.

Got out again at 7:30pm and took the metro from our hotel to Mount Royal Station. From there we decided to go to the Mount Royal Summit.

For people who are not avid hikers, FYI, there is a bus option from the metro station if you are not renting a car. Bus 11 takes you

to the base of the mountain and bus 97 takes you to the top. ( Montrealers please correct me if I am wrong). We, actually my "bitter half" decided to walk all the way to the Chateau. I think he was trying to punish me for the jet boating ride which I did all by myself ( just kidding). I gave in and started walking from Mont Royal all the way to the top of the mountain. It took us 1 hour to get to the chateau. It was very dark but extremely safe. The hike was worth our time. The view from the Chateau is spectacular

expecially in the night. We stayed for almost half an hour and then walked back. It was 11pm in the night. We took the metro to Namur and had dinner at Marathon Sovlaki on 5365 des Jockeys, Montreal. They also have another location at 3938 Notre-Dame, Laval. This place serves greek food and is amazing. My husband and 3-year old child enjoyed the food and I would highly recommend this place.

http://www.marathonsouvlaki.ca/

Got back to our hotel around 1am.

Sunday, May 28th:

Out of the hotel around 11am. Walked from peel-st.catherine and had coffee at Van Houttes Cafe (near Mcguill Street). Walked again on St. Catherine - St. Denis and then had lunch at "Brioche Lyonnaise" on St. Denis which was really good. Walked from St. Denis - Sherbrooke-Parc Lafontaine and spent a good 2 hours exploring the park and neighborhood. I really enjoyed being in this park watching the locals getting a tan, walking their dogs and just relaxing in the sun. It felt that I was experiencing the true Montreal culture. After this we walked back on sherbrooke street- clark street to explore Chinatown. Here we exlored the shops and then went to SJ Lounge & Cafe (above My cup of tea) on La Gauchetiere to relax. This place is equipped with computers and comfortable sofas. The ambience was nice, obviously it was full with college kids but again it was fun to see what the locals do. My husband had some kind of green apple tea and I had the Honey Dew Bubble Tea

which I enjoyed after a long day of walking. I thought this place was cool to hang out, again not touristy.

Walked back to our hotel from La Gauchetiere around 6pm.

In the evening, we took the metro again to Beaudry to see the neighborhood of "The Village" around 8pm. We dined at "East Asia", loctaed on 1320 St. catherine Street. Enjoyed the friendly atmosphere , the food and on our way back stopped at " the Second Cup" in the village for some dessert and coffee. Enjoyed "the village" and had a great time. Took the metro back to our hotel around 11:30pm.

Monday, May 29th:

Woke up and had a quick breakfast at Bagel Expressions near our hotel and then got a taxi to the airport. Left montreal at 1:35pm with

lots of good memories and stories to discuss.

I know we did not cover some of the sights but what we got out of the trip is a true experince of what Montreal has to offer in terms of culture and diversity. We feel that we really know the city and I think we acheived this by doing a lot of walking and keeping our sightseeing to a minimum.

I would like to thank everyone who helped me plan this trip especially Jak and also Montreal Boy who gave me great recommendations and was very patient in answering all my questions.

Jak, your recoomendations were great. Thanks for all your help. I am looking forward to visit Monty again during the Jazz Festival sometime.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report (May 26th to May 29th):

Wow Shaz

That was good and I am glad you thoroughly enjoyed your trip to Montreal. Aur shukriya vukriya kuch nai its a pleasure to help you guys in providing the requested info.

On Saturday afternoon we all were also there at the Place Jacque Cartier where the Tatoo Entertainer was entertaining and my cousins took a video, may be you guys are also there in it . My cousin was taking video not only of that entertainer but also he took a close up of spectators and their expressions and it came out so well. That late night we all watched that video again on the big screen TV and enjoyed it. He took it with him, so I have NO copy!

About your hike on Mt. Royal, I dunno from which side you went up. Because the straight forward route is from the corner of rue de la Montagne / Ste. Catherine street. You can see the terrace from the street and it takes only 20 minutes to go up there.

I knew kay tumko bagels koi khaas pasand nahee ayengi 'coz its an acquired taste, khair its an experience but their bagels are famous, so you can say for name sake you went there and ate 'em.

About the Jet Boating, yeah its definitely more fun to be in the front and did he give you any spins? It all depends on the people on that ride, if you ask him for a spin he gives you one and also if you tell him that you wanna experience it yourself, so he would let you hold the steering wheel and tell you how to and when to spin it . They are very friendly people. Did you now realize how safe it is?

Accha tou tum nay apnay miyan ko khoob tapaya by telling him with all those adventerous sagas of your Jet Boating ride? LOL... its really fun. And did you get pictures? Btw, this small picture on my page here .... is from our JB ride and it was taken by that photographer from Helicopter. You cannot visualise the size of the waves in this tiny size unless you see the real big one. Kaho tou bhej doon tumko? I have 4 pictures, 2 from helicopter, one from the bridge and one from the pier yani hum patee patnee ki ekhata :-)

Isa must have enjoyed a lot.

And yeah do visit Montreal in between July 01 and July 10 to enjoy the ten days non stop fre Jazz Fest on the streets of downtown Montreal.

Thank you once again for the detailed trip report vo bhi Khistaon may LOL. take care.

maryland
Level Contributor
390 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report (May 26th to May 29th):

Jak,

The company went through "Saute Moton" something like that did not offer the helicopter pictures. I called them before making the reservations and they told me that the company in Niagara Falls offers that so I thought that may be there is no such thing in Montreal. Which company did you go thru? May be next time I can reserve through them. Also, do send me your pictures? We did experience the spins and it was a lot of fun.

I went to Mont Royal Summit from the Mont Royal Metro station. May be I took the long way up there but I got to see the shops etc...

Also, i think I saw someone taking the video at Place jacques Cartier. May be it was your cousin. Small World!!!

Looking forward to our next trip to Montreal. This time I can take the roll of "the bitter half" and my husband can go on the boat ride : - )

Take care

shaz

maryland
Level Contributor
390 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report (May 26th to May 29th):

I mean "role of the bitter half" : - ) looking forward to visiting Monty again soon. Thanks Jak and me pictures ka wait kar rahi hoon ta ke apne husband ko aur Tapaooooooooooooooooon : -)

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report (May 26th to May 29th):

LOL at your bhejo tasveerain, array ataa pataa maloom nahee ko-ko-kodina kahan bhejoon tasverrain? tum mujhay replysoon garam-mail per likho then I will do that. Take care :-)

btw, I don't have the addy of helicopter vala photographer, I have to search for that, laterz.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
508 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report (May 26th to May 29th):

Shaz,

Thanks for your detailed trip report and glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself in Montreal. It's always great hear about the experiences of those who visit the city, both positive and not-so-positive.

Definitely looking forward to your return to this beautiful city. Next time, you should also come during the Fireworks competition. Watching the fireworks in Montreal, with the St. Lawrence river and the Pont Jacques-Cartier as a backdrop is quite an experience.

maryland
Level Contributor
390 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report (May 26th to May 29th):

Thanks Montreal Boy for your help. I will definitely visit Montreal again.

Take care

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report (May 26th to May 29th):

Shaz

"went to Mont Royal Summit from the Mont Royal Metro station. May be I took the long way up there but I got to see the shops etc..."

I think you went to the East View Point. i.e. from where you see the Olympic Stadium, right? And that is NOT the South View Point. From SVP you see all the skyscrapers of Montreal and the river St. Lawrence

On the same day (you went up there) we also went to the Mt. Royal by car so we had to take the same route (which you took on foot thats why it took you so long) and we stopped at the East VP for a couple of minutes only to take some pictures and then we went up futher 1 kilo meter and parked our car and went to the Sout VP. It is from there you get the best view of the City. I will try to post you a URL here some time later, so that you can verify whether you went to EVP or SVP ? Anyways, since you have decided to come here again, you should not feel sorry if you haven't been to the SVP. :-)

maryland
Level Contributor
390 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report (May 26th to May 29th):

Hi Jak,

I think we did go to the south side because we did see St. Lawrence river and the skyscrapers. As far as my sense of direction goes, let me tell you, it is close to zero : -) ( In other words, I do not have any), LOL!!! But at least I am honest to admit this : - )

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report (May 26th to May 29th):

Shaz

LOL @ your unday ka funda sense of direction.

OK click on this URL below and then enlarge the first picture it is of that Chateau Mont Royal. If you have been there, then you haven't missed the BEST VIEW OF MONTREAL

virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/Cana…

NYC
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report (May 26th to May 29th):

Hey Shaz, what boat were you on? We were on the 2pm Boat on Saturday May 26.. The orange boat!