We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to see with limited time?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,227 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
What to see with limited time?

My daughter and I arrive in Montreal about noon. We leave the very next day on the 4:00 train, so very limited time there.

I have Old Montreal as the first MUST do, just walking around I think. The Basilique Nortre-Dame is at the top of the list. Not sure if we should rent a bike or not to tour around.

And the second MUST see is Mount Royal Park. Again, hoping to just walk around.

Given our limited time, do we even have time to see anything else? And if you had to pick just one more thing to see, what would you recommend? I am in my mid fifties, daughter in young twenties, and we both like walking.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,227 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What to see with limited time?

rickb, thanks for the detailed tour! And I am glad to know that the day pass for the bus is based on 24 hours, not just the day. That will save us some time, rather than walking everywhere.

I had thought of visiting Les Trois Brasseurs on St. Paul street in Old Montreal for our first lunch, as soon as we drop off our luggage at the hotel. The hotel is in Old Montreal as well, so figured that would be easiest. Want to try their own "craft" beer. But maybe we shall find the Montreal Poutine place first!

The hotel includes a continental breakfast, and that is good, as it will save us some time in the morning.

Will we be able to buy the day pass from the bus driver, or do you need to purchase it before hand at a corner store or????

Thanks again for all the information.

Saint-Jean-sur-Riche...
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: What to see with limited time?

You can't buy a day pass from the bus driver. Sometimes, they even are surrounded by a 'plastic' wall of sorts, for security. I usually buy my day passes at the metro/subway stations. I don't know if there are other places.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: What to see with limited time?

The day pass is available from the 747 bus if you have exact change in coins; you can also buy it from the machine out at the airport. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that points of sale in corner stores and pharmacies only work if you have an Opus card. The "occasionnel" card that is the temporary 1- or 3-day or overnight or weekend pass is made of paper and is available at every métro station.

And I've never seen a bus driver surrounded by a plastic wall here, but you pay the farebox anyway, not the driver, and every bus but the 747 spits out a ticket as soon as you hit $3, even if you ask it politely for a day pass.

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Level Contributor
13 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What to see with limited time?

Hi JoAn -

I recommend going to Rue Prince Arthur between St. Denis & St. Laurent. It is a pedestrian only street with quite a number of good restaurants, gelato shops, etc. My daughter lives in that general area of the Plateau and she loves it as do we when we visit.

15. Re: What to see with limited time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, April 19, 2014