We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Burlington to Montreal (Springhill Suites)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Burlington to Montreal (Springhill Suites)

Hi everyone, advice appreciated - we plan to drive from Manchester VT to Burlington VT and then to Montreal and are planning on taking the Route 2 through Lake Champlain following other recommendations on here.

One thing I would like to do would be to avoid the highway 20 as suggested elsewhere - and take what appears to be a route 217 to 134 and over Pont Victoria to our hotel - Springhill Suites Rue Saint Jean Baptiste.

Is this plausible or would I be making a big mistake? My reason for avoiding the highway may be silly - only really to avoid going from a scenic drive on Route 2 to a busy highway when we are not in a mad rush!

Thanks for any advice!

Route map here if it makes more sense:

http://goo.gl/maps/RNzfm

Edited: 6:50 pm, March 19, 2013
Montreal
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Burlington to Montreal (Springhill Suites)

Any road is fine... My only concern is that route 134 (aka Taschereau Boulevard) and is a commercial boulevard with strip malls and businesses. Not a sexy drive either.

Edited: 8:51 pm, March 19, 2013
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Burlington to Montreal (Springhill Suites)

Thanks Josee. When you say a concern and that it isn't a sexy drive do you mean just that it isn't going to be scenic? I can live with that...or do you mean it's a bit of a rough area to drive through?

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
20,893 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Burlington to Montreal (Springhill Suites)

Suburban sprawl.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Burlington to Montreal (Springhill Suites)

Particularly ugly suburban sprawl, too. The freeway offers nicer views at that point. My favourite trip would be a slight detour up the 219 or the Chemin des Patriots on the other side of the little river, and then the 104, which stays farmland for longer. And then I'd just hop on the Champlain or Jacques Cartier which both offer nicer views of coming into the city. (As well, if you arrive between 3:00 and 7:00 p.m. Mon-Fri, you can't take the Victoria Bridge at all, since both lanes head to the south shore. It's a rail bridge with a lane of traffic on either, and although it's historically important -- the first bridge built across the Saint Lawrence for example -- it's not that pleasant to drive, since the lanes are skinny and the road is made of a metal grid with holes, not solid, and quite noisy.)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Burlington to Montreal (Springhill Suites)

Thanks a million for this advice Tristou, I will look at your suggestions!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Burlington to Montreal (Springhill Suites)

Hi, have made my plans on this Google map and would appreciate if anyone had the time to do a sanity check on my route which I have created using advice on this thread.

Thanks!

http://goo.gl/maps/j2pzo

Edited: 5:50 pm, April 16, 2013
7. Re: Burlington to Montreal (Springhill Suites)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 18, 2014