We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreallers please VOTE for a TRAM WAY

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Topic
Montreallers please VOTE for a TRAM WAY

I have just written something about "tram way" in one of my posts which kevin initiated about weather. I thought I should use the right post for this very interesting suggestion that I feel we all should go for it.

Tram way in Montreal started in 1861 and in 1952 they were replaced by the buses. If the tram way is re-introduced in downtown Montreal, how many of us would like to go for it? Please respond.

Do you like this idea of TRAM WAY on Ste. Catherine? I would like to know how many of us endorse this idea?

I am for it and I would like to suggest they make it for FREE and close the street for cars from At Water West to Berri UQAM East, but let the crossing streets North to South and vice versa to continue the same way.

Also, the extra space that will be available on the side of the street because of the tram way on one side, they should encourage more CAFE and RESTAURANTS to use the street for their customers to sit and enjoy eating. They should also remove the ashphalt and make it a cobbled stone street with some nice landscaping, fountains and decorative plants, hanging pots from poles which could have flowers in the spring and summer time.

The new tram way should start from At Water to Peel and another service running at the same time from Peel to Berri UQAM and must stop at every block. It would really be nice and pollution free.

Lets suggest this to the City of Montreal and sign a petition! LOL.

Montreal
Level Contributor
324 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreallers please VOTE for a TRAM WAY

Jak,

I must admit that it is an interesting idea but Montrealers are all about their comfy cars/trucks/SUV's. People who go crazy if we closed off streets and but Trams. I know that it would be better for the environment, cafe's and restaurants but I do not know if it will work.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreallers please VOTE for a TRAM WAY

c154 thanks for the input.

Yes, I understand it is a very ambitious project and it is a wishful thinking on my part or a few others who share this view. But, we can always hope and aspire for good things. :-)

I am not saying that cars should be banned in the whole area. The crossing streets - going North / South and vice versa - like Guy, Crescent, Bishop, Peet, Jeanne Mance, St. Laurent, St. Denis etc also, a few I missed out should all be allowed to continue as it is.

The tram way must be for FREE, starting:

1. From At Water to Peel and back.

2. From Peel to Berri UQAM and back.

3. Stopping at every crossing street for a few seconds. So that the traffic is flowing freely, it will help commutters and pedestrians in moving freely from one end to other. Besides the metro must continue was it is.

I know there might be some drawbacks like, snow removal or when we get freezing rain etc., how are we going to clean it up? I believe that if we keep talking or BRAIN STORMING about this, we can refine this idea as long as we agree that it is possible and it is a good idea for the City.

Istanbul (Turkey) has the largest covered bazar in the world with several thousand shops inside. Dubai too have several places like Istanbul but not as big as Istanbul. Montreal, reportedly has the largest underground shopping centre in the world. So, we can build a convertible glass roof over the street to prevent snow and freezing rain. In summer these can be opened mechanically. There are a few places here in Montreal (of course very small in size) and they do this.

On Bishop street, between Ste. Catherine and Maisonneuve streets there is a bar called Nirvana? it is actually a driveway of a beautiful stone building called Lyal House built in 1865, that drive way has been convereted into a bar and the roof is convertible. They open it during the summer for fresh air.

I believe everything is possible. But, the billion dollar question is: Do you think our bureaucracy will approve such an ambitious project? :-)

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
12,311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreallers please VOTE for a TRAM WAY

Hey Jak,

I'm not a Canadian, si I can't vote, but think your ideas are fabulous. Sometimes "turning back the clock" can also be a way of "enriching the future". I can picture it in my head.

I'm sure the cost would boggle the mind, but I'm an avid fan of anything that is about public transportation.

People laff at me because I

have a car and am taking the bus to Montreal. well, the joke is on them. I get to look out at the scenery in Vermont, settle back and read a booK WHILE I SIP COFFEE. Besides, my car doesn't have a bathroom.Once I get off the bus, I'm free as a bird with the Metro, or walking. Don't have to worry about parking fees either (if ya catch my drift).Really tho...great idea. It would be so classy!

Let me also say that your story about the "jungle room " was too funny for words. Stuffed animals??? OMG I was cracking up. What a lovely place to stay and nurture the inner child and the outer pervert. I think the ceiling mirrors are in case you're so smashed that you forget what you're doing. You can look up and go "oh yeah, now I remember"!Wicked funny story pal.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Montreallers please VOTE for a TRAM WAY

Interesting idea....this could POSSIBLY work if several conditions are met:

1) Sustainable funding is available. I don't think the public has the appetite to fund this given that so much of Montreal's existing infrastructure needs upgrading. Perhaps a business improvement area levy might work...

2) Ste-Catherine MUST be closed to car traffic. Otherwise, this would turn into a farce like the one in Toronto (see any of the downtown streets there...completely unnavigable by anyone...pedestrians, street cars, or cars...)

3) Convince the businesses of Ste-Catherine to go along with the idea. Not sure if they would be willing to take the risk of turning the street into a pedestrian zone...could meet resistance there.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Montreallers please VOTE for a TRAM WAY

moose

You are definitely, truly and wickedly funny :-) LOL I am glad you liked the description of the Motel Canada. In front of that Motel, every year they put a new attraction, last time I passed by, I saw a 20 foot giant Mary Popins in white dress and a white umbrella standing in front of the motel like a scare crow! I wonder what was the significance of that with the Motel?

And moose of course, you are one of us, coz you support Montreal so much.

Montreal Boy

I forgot to mention that St. Hubert Street North has a semi-covered bazar and its a very long and stretched one too. Of course, I meant 'no cars' on Ste. Catherine from At Water to Berri-UQAM. And the tram way service must be FREE otherwise it would be a snail way as a lot of time would be spent on showing the passes or inserting coins in the slot like the bus service. People should be able to hop in and out at ease.

About businessmen and property owners support. I think they would be delighted. Because, every year in mid-July we have a 2 days "Side-Walk Sale" on Ste. Catherine and they all participate and rejoice, its kinda festival atmosphere and the restaurants put tables and chairs on the street and pavements, hawkers selling various products, live music and songs and also through the paging system which is temporary and it could become a permanent feature. It is a proven fact light music all the time even at work enhances the atmosphere of a working place and some malls have this all the time.

The City's property & business taxes on Ste. Catherine Street are the highest in Montreal, so the City must spend some money on its beautification and improvement. They will always get it back in the from of taxes and from the revenue that comes in from tourists and through the general public spendings and the goods and harmonized tax that they get. So, they can always borrow loan from Banks or from the Federal or Provincial Government, where there is a will there is a way.

People have to propose the idea to the City and people have to push this through the media. If we all can do something, it would be a great achievement for this forum. (Fishful thinking? may be, but I won't mind giving it a try) :-)

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Montreallers please VOTE for a TRAM WAY

You certainly will have resistance from the merchants -- they see cars and street parking as essential to their businesses. And they may not be wrong.

Many places have tried approach -- Toronto still has streetcars, and they're wonderful, but if one breaks down, the whole line stops, and they don't cohabitate very well with cars. Vancouver made Granville Street a pedestrian and bus-only corridor for most of its stretch through downtown. They made cute winding sidewalks, a brick street with a very low curb, new lighting, places to sit... and they're now debating on how to fix it, bringing cars BACK because the street died. Established businesses moved away and new ones never came back. It's pretty, and it works in a few sections, but it created a few no-man's-lands that didn't exist when there was through-traffic and parking. Cars do help -- they go further than people are willing to walk.

Here, you're asking for an awfully long stretch of pedestrian-only space.... too much, I think. Plus, people want cruise down the street with their radios blasting, and Ste. Catherine fulfils this admirably. It also works for pedestrians, with wide sidewalks. I like the approach we have now : blocking off streets when we need them for festivals and street fairs, and letting them function otherwise normally.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Montreallers please VOTE for a TRAM WAY

Since the last two weeks i.e., from the time this old tracks are being removed, as I also happen to be on Ste. Catherine, I have asked merchants and some building owners in our block and they all like the idea of a free tram way and for keeping the cars away West to East on Ste. Catherine street. But, let them pass on all the side streets as it is. Besides, those places in Toronto and Vancouver does not have a free tram way, and we are talking of a free public transport to keep a free flow of traffic. Our metro system also transports a lot of people in that area. Anyways, it is just a suggestion an idea that could be discussed. But, most people seem to like that.

The streets that I know in France and England and many other countries where cars are not allowed, there are hundreds and thousands of people all the time shopping around. Anyways thanks for your contribution. :-)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
509 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Montreallers please VOTE for a TRAM WAY

I agree that pedestrian streest work well in many cities of Europe. The first that come to mind is the entire Old Town of Salzburg, Austria where no cars are allowed. However, the biggest difference between those cities in Europe and those in North America, including Montreal, is the mentality of the people. North Americans are addicted to and totally reliant on their cars. Sometimes I wonder if one day, North Americans will forget how to walk because they drive everywhere now, even if its just down the street to pick up the newspaper or something. It's a sad but true, unfortunately.

Manchester N.H.
Level Contributor
12,311 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Montreallers please VOTE for a TRAM WAY

Hi MB,

That is a very good point, and it is very sad indeed.

It's on of the reasons America especially is an "obese" nation. I go swimming every day, and am always amazed at the the people who fight over the closest parking spot to the healthclub door.Then they go inside and walk the treadmill till their faces turn purple.I think it's almost an unconcious thing these days. However, when cars are prohibited, they have no choice. You have to admit it's a really cool idea, albeit monumental. Anyway..I'm coming up next weekend, and am looking forward to walking my buttissimo off.The weather is getting nice, and I must say the rain was a drag, but the results are the greenest spring I've ever seen in my life. I'm assuming the Jardin Bontanique will be so green that it will hurt my eyes! (my backyard looks like Ireland)! C-ya.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Montreallers please VOTE for a TRAM WAY

MontrealBoy, I have been to Salzburg Austria and I have seen that and YOU are RIGHTabout NA habits. But, only when you are forced to give 'em up then you do 'coz then you have no choice. Like the law on smoking is being implemented and people will not have a choice. Let us see how it works.

In London when you are entering the main downtown area from any of the approaching streets where they have made check-posts and collect money like toll tax from cars owners entering the downtown area has forced people to bring less cars in downtown. There were rumours that business will go down, but people have started to use the public transport system more than ever and keeping their cars out.

In Glasgow, Buchanan Street is a cobbled stone street like our St. Paul street in Old Montreal but here cars are allowed over there cars are not allowed and Buchanan Street is always crowded with shoppers.

moose:

lol at your "buttissimo" yeah you are right if people don't take care of that they start to look like a HIPPOBOTTOMUS. Btw, you should ask our local expert audreybella to join you in your marathons as she too complains often about expanding.......... :-)