We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 hour layover in Montreal

Manitoba
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
6 hour layover in Montreal

I've got a 6 hour layover Monday afternoon. I'd love to get out of the airport and grab a smoked meat sandwich or a good authenitc poutine. I've looked into travelling to downtown Montreal and it doesn't seem feasible. I'm not paying $80 in cab fares and public transportation would take more than an hour each way, leaving me little time in Montreal.

Is there anywhere near the airport where I can grab some good local Montreal cuisine?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 hour layover in Montreal

Yeah downtown would be out of the question for sure...

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
543 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 hour layover in Montreal

You might be able to squeeze in a smoked meat and a poutine if you use the 747 bus

http://www.stm.info/english/info/a-747.htm

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 hour layover in Montreal

If you are flying to the US, there is a Lester's in the US terminal.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,092 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 hour layover in Montreal

If you really intend to come in town then here's what I suggest.

The 747 bus is actually operated with 24 hours bus passes so you can come and return with the same ticket.

Then I would get off at the Guy Street stop and walk north a block to Saint-Catherin Street. On Sainte-Cath turn west / your left. You will pass the Le Faubourg Complex. Walk all the way to the western entrance. Right inside there is a Montréal bagel bakery so if you want to take a few for the road you will be fine. Then take the esaclator for the second floor, it wil bring you to a food court where Deli du Faubourg has nice old fashioned smoked meat. Not on par with Schwartz but good anyways. You can buy a plate with fries and ask for poutine instead. . The Montréal habit of eating limp greasy fries is often lost on visitors so if you want then crispy and not melting into a blob when sauce is added for the poutne ask for your fries well cooked.

Once done return to René-Lévesque Boulevard and take the bus back to the airport.

Manitoba
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 6 hour layover in Montreal

Thanks, that's pretty much the plan I came to, but I was thinking of trying ruebens deli. I'll check out La Faubourg Complex instead I think, bagels for the road is a great idea.

Is the $9 fare for the 747 for just one way, or can I get back on the same fare?

I can get the 1 day pass for $9 as well, but theres a $6 fee for the card.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6 hour layover in Montreal

$9 is 24 hour pass, all the bus and metro you can do in 24 hours!

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,041 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 6 hour layover in Montreal

$9 will take you there and back. And no need to buy a card; the 1-day pass is also available in throw-awayable format.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,570 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6 hour layover in Montreal

If you take the 747, make sure you look at the schedule, it does not pass every 5 minutes so you have to time yourself!

Also, i don't know if you've factored this in yet, but you should be at the airport 2 hours before your flight.

ALTERNATIVE:

There is a Dunns Famous in the West Island. They serve good poutine and smoke meat (i actually prefer their smoke meat to schwartz but if i say that too loud, the cultists will throw pickles at me!).

The cab would still be more expensive than going downtown, but you could easily do it in a tight timeframe.

Dunn's Famous

3360 Des Sources Bd, Dollard-des-Ormeaux, QC H9B 1Z9, Canada

Edited: 1:37 pm, February 18, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6 hour layover in Montreal

The West Island Dunn's Famous changed its name recently to Smokey's and appears to be permanently closed at this time; I found this out today.

10. Re: 6 hour layover in Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 21, 2014