We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which of these 3 Montreal hotels is best?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Topic
Which of these 3 Montreal hotels is best?

My 21-yr. old daughter and I are taking a road trip from Ohio through upstate NY and arriving in Montreal on May 22 or 23 depending on how many backroads we decide to explore. My daughter recently returned from a study abroad in Paris and wants to practice her french.

There seems to be a shortage of hotel rooms for the date(s) we plan on arriving. We are hoping to spend 2-3 full days in Montreal. I had hoped to stay at the Marriott Champlain but it is full. The following hotels have availability as of today:

Loews Hotel Vogue

The Ritz-Carlton

Courtyard Montreal Downtown

Which one is most centrally located for a tourist? Price is not a problem because my VISA points will cover that part.

We love to walk, plan on exploring Old Montreal, do some biking, visit the museums and churches, and of course do some shopping.

I'd also love any suggestions for places not to be missed.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which of these 3 Montreal hotels is best?

Definitely Loews Hotel Vogue is more centrally located on rue du la Montagne, very close to Ste. Catherine Street. The other two are on Sherbrooke street. 411, Courtyard is managed by Marriott, but nothing great, not like Chateau Marriott on rue du la Gauchatiere.

Ritz Carlton is undoubtedly the oldest in terms of character but some people have reservations about their current conditions. Keep it your second choice and go for Loews Hotel Vogue.

When you are on rue du la Montagne or Mountain Street, look north you will see a big terrace on the mountain and you will also see people on it. That is the best scenic spot for viewing Montreal downtown and river st. lawrence. Go there walking, its only 15 minutes walk up to the mountain and trust me that is one of the best walks you would experience in Montreal.

You can also walk all along Ste. Catherine Street, go East on this street all the shopping malls are right there. Go down south towards Old Montreal it is only 25 minutes walk away. Go Jet Boating in the Rapids from Old Montreal, read previous reviews here in this forum it will help you a lot. Good luck mom123 :-)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
505 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which of these 3 Montreal hotels is best?

I would go with the Loews Hotel Vogue. Great location and definitely a top-notch hotel.

Montreal,Qc
Level Contributor
99 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which of these 3 Montreal hotels is best?

Vogue would be my choice from the 3

or how about trying the

SOFITEL MONTREAL if points work for this hotel

1155 SHERBROOKE WEST

MONTREAL QC H3A2N3

514-285-9000

2 blocks from the Vogue

Jennifer Lopez has stayed here

approx rate if avail 285 cad plus taxes

Vogue is 242cad for AAA member

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
505 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which of these 3 Montreal hotels is best?

I second the suggestion of staying at the Sofitel. I love this hotel and the location is great. It would be a close competition between choosing the Loews Hotel Vogue and the Sofitel...but I would have to go with the Sofitel on this one.

Ohio
Level Contributor
40 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which of these 3 Montreal hotels is best?

Thanks to everyone for replying. I chose the Vogue because of your recommendations. Special thanks to Jak1234 for the "what to do" suggestions. I'll be printed them out and taking them along on the trip. I'm really looking forward to our visit, we love big cities!

6. Re: Which of these 3 Montreal hotels is best?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, August 12, 2009