We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch in downtown area

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
91 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Lunch in downtown area

In a few weeks we will be going on a very compressed trip to Montreal. On the first day we will find ourselves in the Dorcester Square area at lunch time. Is there a place where we could have a light lunch in an outdoor cafe area where the food did not dissappoint?

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch in downtown area

You mean the Dorchester Square? The one in front of the tourist office between Rene Levesque and Ste. Catherine and Peel street on one side and Sun Life Building on the other? That used to be the Dominion square before and now it is Dorchester Square, and Boul. Rene Levesque used to be Dorchester Avenue. Anyways, that is on of the most central places of downtown Montreal. Nice trees and benches. There are a few restaurant on Peel street like Subway, a noodle joint and a few others.

LIght lunch? Could it be a sandwich from Subway? :-) Well, its hard to recommend an outdoor cafe without knowing what exactly you want. If you come on Ste. Catherine street and walk east....... 2 blocks after Peel is McGill College street on both sides you will find outdoor cafe and restaurants.

If you walk west of Peel on Ste. Catherine street and 4 blocks west you will find Crescent street, full of outdoor cafes and retaurants. It depends how much you wanna eat and how much time you have to spend there? But, there are a few dozen outdoor cafe and restaurants on Crescent.

Yesterday, I had suggested to someone about a healthy and a very light snack between the meals and I am copying the same for you here:

Quote:

Like to suggest you something about food, rather something fresh to munch between the meals. If you are on the West side of Ste. Catherine to be more precise at La Fabourgh Centre, right in the middle (between St. Mathiew Street and Guy street) there is a small lane called "rue Pierce" so when you stand there in front of that lane on Ste. Catherine, you will see at the "T" junction a cafe called COCKTAIL HAWAII and it is actually on Boul. de Maissoneuve.... can't remember the exact street number of that place.

When people want to munch between the meals I recommend them to go to Cocktail Hawaii and grab something more healthy than the usual apetite killer snacks. Cocktail Hawaii serves fresh fruit juices with lotsa, lotsa chunks of freshly cut tropical fruits in big mugs. They are originally Lebanese and what they do is, they top up the fruit and fruit juices with a scoop of special clotted cream type of Lebanese cream called "KHISHTA" and on top of that they pour a layer of orange blossom honey and water soaked peeled Almonds on the top...... a straw and a longggg spoon.

You have a variety of coctails to choose, the best thing is, its all done right in front of you i.e., peeling and cutting of fruits of your choice i.e., after you have selected one from the big coloured posters of the drink with its price. Everything is between CAD4.75 to CAD6.50 per mug.

Just one drink is very filling as the mug is huge and the cream is not like the usual heavy creamy, creamy, cream but it has some grains like; cottage cheese and it's very tasty. A few hours after that you can have a regular meal without any problem TRY IT at least once, kiddoz love it.

In order to reach there by metro, take green line metro and get off at GUY-CONCORDIA station and look for exit St. Mathieu Street and as soon as you are out, you are on Boul. de Maissoneuve ... cross St. Mathieu street and go East on Maissoneuve towards GUY and before Guy on your left or on the North side is Cocktail Hawaii.. it is hardly 30 seconds walk from the metro station.

I have suggested this to a lot of my friends and they all love it (except for those who count the calories and start loosing weight with the fear of getting fat) if you are scared of taking the KHISHTA ask them to give you in a tea spoon to taste it, first try it, its very different and if you like it ask them to top it up the regular scoop. Good munching!!!!!

Unquote.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch in downtown area

Nice little outdoor cafes/restaurants can be found on Mcgill College/St Catherine. There is a nice new Cuban place on Mcgill College, I forget the name but you cant miss it, its at 1801 Mcgill College. You also have Resto Fiore right next door to the Cuban place where everyone is outside on the terrace enjoying Italian food(not the greatest but then again noone beats my mom's authentic Italian cooking).

Or you can venture to Crescent st where everyone is sitting on the balconies at lunch and there is no lack of variety there.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch in downtown area

Three weeks ago (April 13) Frostback asked for opinions and suggestions about "Crescent Street Restaurants" and our dear local expert AB was deadly against Crescent street restaurants and narrated her experience about stir fry chicken being less and she had to order bread ! Was it really less or your apetite has increased because of the company? Anyways, AB pls tell me pour quoi this sudden change of opinion in favour of Crescent street restaurants? LOL, I am only asking a simple question AB about this 180 degrees turn or should I call it a Paradigm Shift?

Frost, see AB has NOW given you the same suggestions as I have about going to the corner of Ste. Catherine / McGill College and also about Crescent street. But, in addition to that she is doing this subliminal marketing about her mother's cullinary cooking skills. Poor Larrisa went back to Peurto Rico without tasting those mouth watering Italian dishes :-)

NOW, one question and I am not trying to be rude to you Frost, but please tell me 'coz I am very curious and cannot comprehend is, how and why are you so worried and concerned about this 'just one light lunch' on this entire trip of yours that you are asking about for it weeks / month ahead of your trip? Last time our friends poured a bundle of suggestions and prolly you were not satisfied with those suggestion and now another post on the same subject, again a meaningful pour quoi? LOL.

PS. Hey AB could you please email me the phone number and name of the law firm you are working with, I need a lawyer, thanks.... LOL not for here, but seriously I need it if they are not so expensive :-)

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch in downtown area

Jak, the lawyers at my firm are probably one of the most expensive in the city.

Not a sudden change about Crescent but there are loads of eateries on the street. lol I still am anti Crescent lol

Montreal
Level Contributor
16 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch in downtown area

If you find yourself with very little time, but must eat, then I would recommend eating at Dunn's deli which is in the sqaure. Though, they don't have a terrace, if the weather is good, order out some roast beef sandwiches and enjoy the park. Also, on peel street, there is Cafe Republic, a little pricier cafe but serves paninis, sandwiches and variety of other things.

Of course, for a full-sit down lunch, you really can't go wrong with Crescent street.

Enjoy your time in Montreal.

-Jennifer

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Lunch in downtown area

I recommend Cap Vert on nearby McGill College. Good salade niçoise.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lunch in downtown area

AB - They cant be the most expensive lawyers. Because my friend is a Partner in Fasken, Martineau, DuMoulin (formerly Martineau Walker) I know him for a long time and their office is in Place Victoria they are the most expensive law firm in Canada. It's for one of my neighbours who was asking me for help and needed a good lawyer and I thought about your law firm because I know for sure he can't afford Fasken, Martineau, DuMoulin. Anyways, thanks for remaining anti-Crescent.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lunch in downtown area

Jak, my law firm is along those lines ;)

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Lunch in downtown area

Those lines are like;

---------

________

Like, how big is a piece of string? A few inches or a few meters or a few kilo meters.

Bella I was not trying to compare, its fine I don't need them :-)

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
91 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lunch in downtown area

Thanks for the opinions.

Jak, the reason for my interest is that I know that there are many, many lunch places in the area, but I have never seen any serious recommendations for any of them. It's sort of frustrating. And I hate being in a city with so much in the culinary way and end up having one of only a few meals that we will have there turn out to be mediocre or worse.