We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Plateau or Old Montreal?

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Staying in Plateau or Old Montreal?

Hi,

we will be in Montreal next weekend and are travelling with a 2 year old. I can't decide if we should stay in Old Montreal or in the Plateau.

We'll use air b'n'b, and both areas have a great selection of apartments. We will not have a car so we'll use bus/metro/cabs.

We plan to visit the biodome, and both Old Montreal and the Plateau.

We don't care about night life but would like to be in an area where we can visit coffee shops, do a bit of shopping, have dinner and then be close to home. We'd also like easy access to a grocery store. With the cold weather, convenient and quick access to these is preferred.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,481 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in Plateau or Old Montreal?

Old Montreal is quiet in the winter months, and dare I say feeling rather vacant or underwhelming (other than the architecture) - I don't think it's what you're looking for.

The Plateau is definitely what you're looking for because it has a real lived-in community feel with small local restaurants, cafes, shops, etc. Basically everything you're looking for is in the Plateau.

Edited: 9:10 pm, January 06, 2013
Victorville...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in Plateau or Old Montreal?

We will be traveling to Montreal this summer by RV. I am trying to find a camp ground close to transportation so that we can go to old Montreal , etc... I tried map quest but I do not have an address to put in for old Montreal . Any ideas would really be appreciated.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,053 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in Plateau or Old Montreal?

There are actually a lot of activities in Old Montreal in the winter. But the Plateau is more residential if tis is what you want.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,886 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in Plateau or Old Montreal?

Just so you know, most properties on AirBnB are illegal in Quebec, where anyone renting for under 30 days needs to be inspected, licenced and insured. When the government catches them, they disappear quickly because the revenue department goes after them for undeclared income. They are also completely uninsured, since they home insurance is invalid.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
41 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in Plateau or Old Montreal?

You can maybe have a look on this BnB, been there once and liked the place, you will be on the plateau, but close from downtown.....good compromise

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155032-d184405-…

Victorville...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in Plateau or Old Montreal?

Looking for a RV/ motorhome campground , KOA etc... That we can stay at which is close to sometype of transportation so that we can get to old Montreal and other neat spots to visit.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying in Plateau or Old Montreal?

It is a close call.

From what you describe, i think you would be best on the Plateau. There are many cute local coffee shops and some of the best restaurants in town around that area. It being more of a residential and local commercial district, there are more amneties and specifically, more groceries. You'll have more options for public transportation. There are also some neat shopping to be done in the area, as opposed to no shopping at all in Old Montreal.

Old Montreal is beautiful to visit, but it is less residential. It's a touristy area with some offices here and there. The architecture is very impressive and romantic. It would also be a nice stay but i think that just visiting the area would be enough, and plateau would be more convenient.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,929 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying in Plateau or Old Montreal?

Debster make your own thread.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Staying in Plateau or Old Montreal?

Yes please, make your own thread so we don't confuse conversations and advice :)

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Staying in Plateau or Old Montreal?

Thank you all. This is great info. I think we will end up in the Plateau and make a half day trip to Old Montreal.