We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to split visit between Montreal & Quebec city

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
How to split visit between Montreal & Quebec city

Hi

We are visiting Montreal & Quebec city for the first time during the last week of June 2013. We have 6 days (Thursday to Sunday) for this part of our trip before flying to NY on Monday. We will arrive by plane from Buffalo.

I'm thinking of flying into Montreal first, spend 3 days then catch the bus to Quebec, spend another 3 days, then fly to NY. This means we'll be in Montreal during week days & Quebec during the weekend. Our interests are mainly in the architecture, historical sites, underground city & a trip to the botanical gardens in Montreal.

Am I planning this the right way? Should I spend 4 days in Montreal & 2 days in Quebec? What about the weekend & week days mix? Is it better to be in Quebec on week days to avoid crowds & higher prices?

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to split visit between Montreal & Quebec city

You are perfect the way you planned it. By choosing the bus over the train it also makes for more flexibility as after you 3 nights in Mtl you might decide to get to Qc very early or visit some more around and catch a later bus.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,703 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to split visit between Montreal & Quebec city

I agree with rickb and your schedule, though I am more partial to the train as it is more comfortable and takes about the same amount of time, though as stated doesn't run as often.

JDP

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to split visit between Montreal & Quebec city

I would do 4 in Montreal and 2 in Quebec city, especially if you love food. Montreal is more about exploring neighbourhoods as well as "sites" and museums. Also, be careful about your dates since we have a lot of festivals, plus the Grand Prix dates, the 7th through 9th of June. Then there is also other festivals, like the Jazz festival which are not just more expensive days, but also make restaurants more crowded and you need reservations for some of the best places in town ahead of time.

Sydney
Level Contributor
78 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to split visit between Montreal & Quebec city

Thanks for your advice. We will be in Montreal from 25th June, when is the jazz festival? Does it matter if I spend midweek in Montreal & weekend in Quebec? Or should I reverse that?

I have another question about the shuttle bus from Montreal airport to downtown (is it the 767??), how does it handle luggage? I'm talking about the 23kg 70cm luggage, not just the carry onboard type.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,013 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How to split visit between Montreal & Quebec city

For architecture, Montréal is a lot more varied and interesting than Québec -- but Québec is much prettier and quaint. Montréal is the bigger city, a little rough around the edges, a lot more stuff going on, more international, more immigration, more cosmopolitan. Québec City is more charming, very beautiful, has some great nature close by, and is older and better preserved and very nicely fixed up, but it's also more conservative and feels more like a large small town, especially once you get to know it.

I normally say save the weekend for Montréal in the summer, since there is so much going on. Québec, too, has its festivals and indeed more than enough to keep tourists interested for 3 or 4 days at least, but it doesn't have the same buzz as Montréal does, and it's a lot more touristy because almost everything it has to offer is in its old town, whereas Montréal has more and larger inner neighbourhoods and a real downtown to explore.

Think of Québec as a romantic getaway kinda place, and Montréal as a go-out-and-party place.

For the 747: they have a space for luggage, but of course it gets filled up fast, so people end up sticking their luggage by their seats and blocking the aisle and it's rather a bit of mayhem if the bus is full, but since everyone's in the same boat, and there's not much on-and-off traffic, no-one really minds.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to split visit between Montreal & Quebec city

At this time, in the middle of the Jazz Fest in Mtl you could do this cityl first and then Québec City, even if that makes you visiting Qc durng a week-end. Also probably from Wednesdays to Saturdays Qc will present it's 2 free nighttime shows: Image Mill by Ex Machina and Invisible Paths by Cirque du Soleil IF the agreement with the City continues.

Also Montréal has less of the historic and quaint charm that Qc does, so Old Montréal could be percieved as an appetizer and Qc the main course on these points. Old Mtl is quite nice per se but could be a let down if seen after Le Vieux Québec

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to split visit between Montreal & Quebec city

Sounds like a good split to me!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,867 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to split visit between Montreal & Quebec city

The Jazz festival starts the 28th of June. Better to be in Montreal during midweek if you want reservations for some of the better restaurants, more difficult on the weekends and much more difficult during the Jazz Festival.

The 747 has luggage racks.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,897 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to split visit between Montreal & Quebec city

Strange that the Jazz Fest starts on the 28th. Usually it is on June 25th isn't it?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
706 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to split visit between Montreal & Quebec city

The 2013 Jazz Fest will be June 28-July 7

montrealjazzfest.com/questions-en/festival.a…

You should manage not to miss it...!