We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need walking routes from Embassy Suites to great places

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Need walking routes from Embassy Suites to great places

I have booked Embassy Suites. It was a toss up with the Marriott Springhill Suites (for the Marriott's presence in old Quebec).

Now I need walking/ and metro routes to great restaurants and things to see.

My son and I will be walking and photographing. I'd like to take him to neat shops, art galleries, great photo ops and a cozy pub or two to rest our weary souls.

As well, dh can walk a little with rests in between, where can we take him (or take the metro?) What is the cost of the metro???

My hubby is british, so would like a cozy stone/timber type pub closest to Embassy Suites. What is Barroco like for dinner??? or Auberge Le Vieux St. Gabriel? Would like one special night out.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

D in Muskoka

Any and all info is greatly appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,961 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need walking routes from Embassy Suites to great places

Well the métro per passage, cash, is $3 per passage (including transfer to buses), $ 24 for a bundle of 10 passages that can be shared by everybody. Then you have the 24 hours pass that is $ 8, the 3 days pass that is $16 and the weekly pass that is $ 23.50.

Note that the Opus cards (that you must pay for blank) is good for any combination and necessary for the 7 days or monthly passes. The 24 hours and 3 days are still offered in paper form so you don't need to buy the Opus. Anyways the weekly is from Monday to Sunday so is more geared to the needs of locals and not tourists.

The Embassy Suite is on the rim of Old Montréal and close to métro stations but you can also walk downtown as the métro orange line will leave you at the south of the downtown core so not so more closer to the action center then if you walk from the hotel. If you want to be more central than you will have to go by the green line and stop at either Guy/Concordia, Peel or McGill stations. Very doeable but you need some spare time to ride the orange line to a transfer point and then the green one.

Of course you will have Old Montréal at your footstep to wander around, photograph, etc. Then downtown you could go to one of the pubs on Crescent or Bishop or Mckay streets and while your husband tries the beer you could go to Sherbrooke Street nearby and visit some or the art galleries around and the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts that is free except for the temporary exhibit. Hubby might even be tempted to go with you for a while as it seems that men like the Napoleon exhibit and also can relate very well with the very large decorative art section, more so than fine arts. And, of course, we are not talking about bone china teacups but actual piece of furniture that your parents or grand-parents might have had in the not so far away past. Be aware that the stunning Tiffany windows in the former church, now Bourgie Concert Hall and part of the museum complex are viewable only when attending a concert there or on Saturday mornings so plan accordingly.

You could also consider a walk on Saint-Laurent Boulevard from Sherbrooke Street north to Mount-Royal or Boulevard Saint-Joseph. Plenty of melting pot around with shops and restaurants from around the world and many of the former factory buildings have been converted to more cutting edge art galleries on the upper floors. It is also the area to make a stop at Schwartz and have a plate of Montréal famous smoked meat.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need walking routes from Embassy Suites to great places

Thank you Rickb. I have printed your post to take with us.

D in Muskoka

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
479 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need walking routes from Embassy Suites to great places

We stayed at the Embassy Suites last year for a week - the hotel is in a great location where you can walk around the Old Port which is a beautiful area of Montreal and so much to see in this area. There is a metro station right across from the hotel in the Palais de Congress - we used the metro a few times during our stay and it was really simple to use. Using the metro we managed to reach the Biodome/Olympic Parc/Botanical gardens within just a few minutes. We also used it to reach Ile St Helene on the river.

In the Old Port there are lots of places to eat - we enjoyed stopping at the square after a days sightseeing as there are lots of cafes and restaurants to choose from. We also walked to the dowtown area - for us this wasnt a great area as there are just lots of shopping malls although we did find a lovely little cafe in one of the side streets but i forget what its called!

Hope you have a great time

4. Re: Need walking routes from Embassy Suites to great places

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, December 17, 2013