We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MTL to Quebec (Bus)

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
6 posts
Save Topic
MTL to Quebec (Bus)

Hey Guys,

I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions, this is my last one.

I want to see Quebec. I was originally going to buy train tickets to visit it with my wife, but found out that the latest train returning from Quebec to Montreal is near 530pm (17:30) which is way way too early for me.

So, I was going to purchase the Orleans Express bus, but 1 ticket cost an astonishing $90 per ticket, which blew my mind!! I never thought it would be that expensive!!

Do you think it's worth it to just take a rental car instead if I've already purchased a rental?? My only fear is that I would get lost, and haven't experienced driving in snowy conditions.

What do you guys think???

Quebec, Canada
Level Contributor
561 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MTL to Quebec (Bus)

You can also check allo stop or amigo express websites. These are two companies very responsible organizing car sharing..my kids use it on aregular basis, you book with a driver for a very reasonable price and choose the time and location of pickup from the list. Rental not agood idea in my opinion.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
18,681 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MTL to Quebec (Bus)

Bus is expensive but then so is the train, that you were willing to take anyway... and you arrive to/depart from same station in QC and it's also a 3 hour ride.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MTL to Quebec (Bus)

As a starting point, it should be said that weather forecasts in this part of the country are pretty accurate.

If a serious winter storm is forecast, you probably don't want to go to Quebec City by any mode of transportation. There will be delays and, if you get there, it won't be much fun walking (or driving) Quebec City with 10 to 15 cms of snow on the roads and sidewalks.

If there is just a minor snow occurence, say 2 to 5 cm of snow, you could probably drive it ok, reduce your speed from 100-110 km/hr to 70 to 80 km/hr, stay out of the passing lane if it is at all snow covered, grip the steering wheel tightly.

But you apparently want to return after dark. Perhaps it is a sign of age, but 3 to 4 hours of winter night time driving in unfamiliar territory, is something that I would not do and would not recommend.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MTL to Quebec (Bus)

I second anectine's suggestion of car-pooling agency AlloStop. Their phone # in Montreal is 514-985-3032. Membership costs $7 per person, it gives you access to ridesharing between Montreal and Québec City (the 2 most popular destinations) for less than half the cost of bus tickets. Very safe. Numerous departures every day from one city to another.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MTL to Quebec (Bus)

And I strongly advise you against renting a car: mid-December could be anythimg from clear and dry roads to snowstorm, to blizzard, to black ice. You COULD be lucky and get fair weather, but you could also get unlucky.

Houston
Level Contributor
97 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MTL to Quebec (Bus)

Try WonderVoyages website for better prices. Haven't used them but prices are much better. They try to upsell, I've been told, by a competing bus company. They have at least two Montreal locations - one in Chinatown, one in Old Montreal.

7. Re: MTL to Quebec (Bus)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, December 17, 2013