We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Restaurant Near Train Station?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Good Restaurant Near Train Station?

My two girlfriends and I are going to Montreal for a day trip next week and need to catch the 7:15 train back to Ottawa. Can anyone please recommend a good downtown restaurant (no preference for food type) for a medium-priced dinner and glass of wine in a pleasant atmosphere that we can get to and still make our train home? Thanks for the help.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,011 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Restaurant Near Train Station?

Well, I don't know what exactly medium-priced is for you, but a couple of blocks east are Beaver Hall and Andiamo -- I've been to the former and it was quite good, not fantastic but great presentation; lunch for two plus wine was around $60 before tip.

For more traditional, but around the same price, there's Le Montréalais in the Queen Elizabeth hotel above the train station. Or perhaps the restaurant at the top of Place Ville Marie with a great view (which for me is actually worth the slightly-higher-than-should-be prices).

Less expensive would be a couple of blocks north -- something like Le Cap vert on McGill College (a small bistro-type place), or across the street or Les 3 Brasseurs, a chain of microbrew pub-type places that has good pizza-like things although the rest of the menu isn't that great.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Restaurant Near Train Station?

Thank you - very helpful and much appreciated.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Restaurant Near Train Station?

Yep, depends on your definition of "medium priced"

Old Dublin pub is my definition of medium-inexpensive food, plus the service is fast. The food is pretty good.

Beaver Hall is a good suggestion for it's proximity. I assume you'll be eating around 5pm, with your train being at 7:15. It's a little more expensive though.

You will also have more choice on McGill Street, right beside the entrance to Ville Marie. It's got many restaurants on there, and it's great for people watching. Commensal for vegetarian, M:Burger, etc... To get there from the Central Station just go to "Place Ville Marie", walk straight through to the McGill street exit. 3 min walk.

If you see you're tight on time, the food court at Gare Centrale is pretty nice, with some fancier options than your regular fast-food mall court.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
110 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Restaurant Near Train Station?

I think we will give Beaver Hall a try! Thanks!

5. Re: Good Restaurant Near Train Station?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 pm, December 16, 2013