We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

French-English Dictionary

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
308 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
French-English Dictionary

Given that I have zero knowledge in French. Will I need to carry a French-English dictionary while traveling in Montreal? I heard the street/parking signs can be intimidating at times.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,047 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: French-English Dictionary

LOL, if your looking at a dictionary while driving.....

The signs can be a little confusing, like instead of the sign saying "no left turn" by having a left arrow with a crossbuster through it, it has a right arrow with a green circle around it. I wouldn't drive much around Montreal anyway, best to park the car and take taxi or transit. It's cheap and saves lots of headaches. Most people in Montreal speak English. There is a little less English spoken on the east side (east of St. Laurent) but that's the really cool side of Montreal, so don't let that put you off. You'll be fine.

Good luck.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: French-English Dictionary

I don't think he meant 'reading or referring a dictionary while driving'.

Yeah, the new parking meters are stupid, even the locals at times are confused and start wondering where to pay and how to pay. Now they have revised the parking meter fees to match the soaring gas prices.

The side street parking signs for residents zoning is not easily understandable by many, on top of that the City of Montreal is very generous in adding / replacing new timings and new signs, so for a non-French, a sign with time and Jeudi or Marcredi written on it may not click so easily.

"Seeing Ourselves As Others See Us" is one thing that could improve oneself, unfortunately the politics of language does not help many English speaking tourists. Our language police debates on changing the name of Second Cup to a French name like KFC is PFK.

Jacques Villeneuve, after winning the Formula-1 world championship opened a a trendy nightclub and restaurant in Montreal called " Newtown" and the curious French journalists asked him, why not a French name? He replied, wake up there is a whole world outside Quebec. Could I say LOL?

AB - watching hockey? What a shame we lost twice on home ice! But, the second game of the play offs was the best.