We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

So yeah, that's about all I know so far.

I want to come up to Montreal to eat some poutine and ... ?

We want to come up in November, the plan is to skip out on American Thanksgiving and spend it up there instead. A 5 night trip, come up on a Wednesday, leave on a Sunday.

So how do I even start planning this?

The wife wants a hotel with an indoor pool so she can relax a little bit. I am not so sure what a young child can do so I am hoping for suggestions.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Hotel Nelligan
Hotel Nelligan
#4 of 165 hotels in Montreal
Hotel Place d'Armes
Hotel Place d'Armes
#5 of 165 hotels in Montreal
Hotel Bonaparte
Hotel Bonaparte
#6 of 165 hotels in Montreal
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,185 posts
787 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

Here is some info on fares that may be of interest:

stm.info/English/tarification/a-1a3jours.htm

NJ
Level Contributor
553 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

Haha, I'll check out the FAQ, didn't even notice that.

I told the one guy that I survived in Paris a couple of years ago so I was sue that I'd be able to make it a few days in Montreal.

Oh no! It's worse than France!

Heh.

3 day card looks perfect for what we are going to do. Does a toddler need a pass as well?

Hmm.

Is Montreal a cash city or a credit card city? Although since us American bums cant get a chip+pin card I bet I'll be better off with cash.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

By all means try to learn some French -- it will be appreciated. But at the same time, keep in mind that Montreal is a truly bilingual city. You can easily have the experience of doing your best to speak French at a store or restaurant only to then hear the employee who was serving you have a personal conversation in perfect English.

So, no need to worry, and I hope you'll take the time to dispel your friends' misconceptions after you return.

Canada moved to chip and pin after Europe, so non-chip credit cards are still widely used and accepted here.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,510 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

No pass needed for the toddler for the metro.

I am British and I have never had issues in Montreal. Try a few words of French for fun, people love that. Montreal is a very family friendly city.

The area around the Square Philips is pretty good. There is a grassy square in front of it. It is right downtown and walking distance to Chinatown and the old port area. Bring a stroller. The hotel s great for young families.

Glad you got the book, there were tons of neat things in it to do. It is great on details too. Remember the prices will have gone up though.

There are some great parks in Montreal, but the Mount Royal parks are wonderful.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Mount Royal Park
Mount Royal Park
8,401 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

No need to learn any French. There are people born and bred in Montreal that can't speak french and they work in my office! Speaking french is convenient (sometimes) but not a requirement for a tourist and for many locals.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

For everything about our transit system, see tripadvisor.com/Travel-g155032-s303/Montreal…

As for speaking French: it's considered polite to just say Bonjour and then continue in English -- unless you're well off the beaten track, it's pretty much guaranteed that the person will speak English, unless it's a more governmental places, such as perhaps transit system workers or at a French hospital, for example. It's not that these places have fewer bilingual people; it's just that they don't take language ability into account when deciding on where to place people, since they're officially French-only institutions and that would count as discrimination, and therefore you may get someone with very poor English in a job that deals with the public. But even then, it's rare indeed, and emergency services are all bilingual of course.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,394 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

I always try to use what little french I know and usually the other person starts chuckling (in a joking way) and starts speaking to me in english. I may not get it right but I always try! As noted above, the it is appreciated if you try!

Gatineau, Canada
Level Contributor
393 posts
355 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

Hi!

When my daughters were small, I always went to the Chateau Champlain hotel (Marriot chain) - and cheaper the Square Philips. They have a great pool that almost looks like its outdoors and and a jacuzzi. If you ask them for a babybed, they actually bring you a full size babybed, not a playpen. From the basement, you can hop right on the subway.

They have amazing service for children, and even offer daycare.. should you wish to have a romantic supper with your wife.

Biodome is great indeed and you can really take your time in there!

With a child that age, the beauty is that you can actually pretty much do whatever you like as long as you are well equiped with a stroller. The old port of definitely to see; as is the vieux montreal (you can walk around).

Don't worry about us French, we would not spit on you!

I fyou have a car and stay for 5 days, you may want to take a day to either drive to Québec city (2 1/2 hours each way - on the highway) or to Mont Tremblant (about 2 hours? I've never done it from Montreal).

Be careful though with your idea of running in the park in November for a 1 year old... it might be quite muddy.... and way too cold to sit on the grass.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Chateau-Bromont
Hotel Chateau-Bromont
679 Reviews
Bromont, Canada
Mont Tremblant
Mont Tremblant
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
19. Re: Want to plan a short trip with my wife and 1.5 year old son.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 pm, December 15, 2013