We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Romanian Cuisine or shops in Downtown Mtl?

Moncton, Canada
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Good Romanian Cuisine or shops in Downtown Mtl?

Hi there, will be visiting Mtl for 3 weeks, would like to know which restaurant serves the best Romanian food, and possibly offers Romanian music. Thanks for your help =)

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
8,838 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Romanian Cuisine or shops in Downtown Mtl?

Not really, to my knowledge such a place doesn't exist.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Romanian Cuisine or shops in Downtown Mtl?

The only restaurant I could find on the island is: La Maison Rustik, 5461, Sherbrooke St W. Can't say if it's good, or 'best' though - I have never eaten there.

Grocery store: Epicerie Bucarest, 4670, boul. Décarie, Montréal

Alternatives: http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/825749

Huntington Beach...
Destination Expert
for Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, Laguna Beach
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Romanian Cuisine or shops in Downtown Mtl?

Now my curiosity is peaked. Why would Montreal be considered a good place to come for Romanian food? Is there a large Romanian community?

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Romanian Cuisine or shops in Downtown Mtl?

Well, it's not a particularly large community, but it has been in the top 10 countries of origin for immigrants here for the past few decades -- perhaps partially explained by the fact that Romanian is a latin language and similar to French, although there are more Romanians in Toronto (75,000) than in Montréal (40,000), according to wikipedia.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Romanian Cuisine or shops in Downtown Mtl?

Romania is one of the possible origins of the Montreal smoked meat. I know a number of Romanians. Their language is closest to Italian. Arguably the prettiest women in Eastern Europe. Tristou can comment on the guy side if he has recovered from the black and blue festival !

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Romanian Cuisine or shops in Downtown Mtl?

Hmmm... I have recovered, but not from the Black and Blue -- not my style anymore. Doesn't mean I had a sleep-filled weekend, though. Aaah, gotta love Montréal sometimes, where people come expecting to have fun, but this is a family-friendly board, so I'll say no more than that :)

I know of only 1 Romanian guy who is incredibly handsome but also very, very married, sigh. And I have met only 3 Romanian women that I know of, one who was extremely nice but not pretty at all, and two who were absolutely drop-dead gorgeous.

As for being close to Italian: well, I understood oh 10%-15% of what the two gorgeous ones were saying, whereas I can understand oh a third to a half of Italian, so it's not THAT close. But the worst in terms of understanding latin languages is Portuguese from Portugal. Absolutely incomprehensible -- you sit there saying to yourself: ok, it's a latin language, it works the same, most of the words are the same, so just listen, adjust your ear, and you'll get it. Nope. A word here or there -- if you're lucky. And yet, most of us can read these languages fairly easily.

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Romanian Cuisine or shops in Downtown Mtl?

Tristou, you said it right: drop dead gorgeous. We should encourage Romanian immigration to Canada. The more ethnic diversity, the better !

Montreal, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Romanian Cuisine or shops in Downtown Mtl?

Rustik closed!

9. Re: Good Romanian Cuisine or shops in Downtown Mtl?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, May 13, 2014