We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bixi bikes 4visitors

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
245 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Bixi bikes 4visitors

We r on bixi website trying to sunscribe4 a 72 hour pass subscrtion . Is it supposed to be 15$ total. That's it right as long as we return w/ in 30 min n wait 2 min b4 using another. Do we need to subscribe online . We come to a sect that on

Website that has French but not English n I don't see the script for 72 hrs.

Montreal
Level Contributor
331 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bixi bikes 4visitors

I think the 72 hours you just pay at the station on your credit card.

It is supposed to rain alot tomorrow, not ideal for biking around.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,888 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bixi bikes 4visitors

You need to buy that at the station. I think you need to wait longer than 2 minutes, though, between rentals.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bixi bikes 4visitors

Yup, you don't do it on the website -- you do it from the station itself. The instructions are in English on the stations, and on the website you click on English in the top red bar.

But, since we're so helpful, here is everything you need to know:

You use your credit card to rent a bike for 24h or 72h, and one credit card can rent up to 2 bikes, with a $250 deposit being put on your card, which can last up to 10 days. You insert your credit card and it will give you a code which you then use on the keypad beside the bike to unlock it. And then you use it, and you're right: it'll cost no more as long as you dock it (to any station anywhere) within half an hour. When you want to take out another bike, insert your credit card again, and it will give you another code to unlock a bike (but you won't be charged again).

I don't know how it works if you rent two bikes on one credit card, however -- perhaps it gives you two codes at once?

While you can just head out and ride around since there are stations scattered throughout the city, sometimes it seems you just can't seem to find them, so it's a good idea to look at the map and get an idea of where some are where you think you will be heading, or keep your eyes peeled as you're getting close to 30 minutes.

If you arrive and the station is full, you can get an extra 15 minutes to find an empty station -- you'll need to put your credit card in again and follow the instructions onscreen (which by now you will know can be in English by hitting Langue and choosing English. Or Spanish if you want to practise that :). The screen can also list the closest 8 stations and how many docks are free.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
245 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bixi bikes 4visitors

We purchased a 24 hr pass as my hubby wasn't too keen on using the bikes as he prefers metro. We r very impressed w the success of the bixi system . Wish we had it in the USA. We saw them in paris n london 2 yrs ago, however, to my utter disappointment our US cc's don't work in Paris sowe weren't able to use their bikes then. Our Cc's don't have that chip.

We like that there r designated bike paths. It makes it much safer. When were these paths designated. We ended up docking bikes every 20-25 min for fear we might miss the deadline. We biked from plateau area to Atwater, ate at the mkt, biked thru la chine & old port. We were very exhausted and beat up as we're bait out of shape.we did experience a station near cartier/Norte dame where there were no more slots as well at another location.

Last full day/nite tomorrow. Montreal is so nice, just wish I retained the HS French I leaned 20 yrs ago.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bixi bikes 4visitors

You do have it in the US, and not just from the makers of Bixi.

Here is a list of cities in the US with a similar bike share system:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…Americas

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
245 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bixi bikes 4visitors

@tristou--

If you arrive and the station is full, you can get an extra 15 minutes to find an empty station -- you'll need to put your credit card in again and follow the instructions onscreen (which by now you will know can be in English by hitting Langue and choosing English. Or Spanish if you want to practise that :). The screen can also list the closest 8 stations and how many docks are free.

************************************************************************************

so u mean that if i arrive at a station and there are NO spots available,just by sliding in my CC the computer will immediately note that there are no available spots and thereby give me the 15 min extension automatically?

Ok, that happened to us 2x. Actually, in one incident there was just ONE spot open for our TWO bikes as one docking slot was broken (? it didnt' take the bike)....we were panicky and didn't have a local cell phone...what we ended up doing was that my hubby had to return his (so we dont get fined) and then checked another out so that I could place mine in (so we don't generate fines on my bike)... now at this point we had a checked out bike which we didn't know what to do with, since we didn't need it, but after waiting for 10-15 min someone came to return his bike but had no slots! So we decided to help him out and check out another bike --so he could have his spot and we just took the bikes further to the farmer's mkt....

would the computer know that we checked out TWO bikes simultaneously and therefore need two slots? and though even though there was only 1 spot what does one do when there are 2 bikes to be returned ? Is parking a personal bike at the bixi station free? we saw alot of ppl do that. And we saw one guy w/ his personal bike who parked his bike somewhere, but later hopped on a bixi, so he must have strategically done this to eliminate fees for parking his personal bike? How beneficial these bixi bikes are.

Edited: 2:19 pm, October 12, 2012
7. Re: Bixi bikes 4visitors

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 pm, December 14, 2013