We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laval - Bus/Metro - 3 Day Transit Pass

Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Laval - Bus/Metro - 3 Day Transit Pass

We will be staying at the Laval Hilton. 3 bus routes run past our hotel to the Montmorency Metro Station. Bus out there seem run by AMT, which is different than downtown.

Will the 3 Day Transit pass work on the AMT Bus system?

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,456 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laval - Bus/Metro - 3 Day Transit Pass

Are you staying in Laval as you are visitng Laval? If you are staying in Laval to visit Montreal the Hilton Laval might not be your best bet.

THe traffic in front of the HIlton can be crazy at rush hour, so do avoid travelling in those times if you can, it is right off a very busy highway and junction.

You need a zone three AMT pass to cover both Laval and Montreal, if you are going into Montreal. THe concierge at the hotel and the ticket office will be able to halp. THough often the ticket office staff do not speak English, but they always try hard to help.

However if you want help to find a Montreal hotel do ask.

Mentioned in this post
Laval
Laval
Quebec, Canada
Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Laval - Bus/Metro - 3 Day Transit Pass

Yes we are staying in Laval, but will be travel into Montreal. Know it's a bit of a trip to downtown, but stretching my Hilton Points they had a great rate. The Metro is about a 1.5 miles (2.6km) if we foot it, or the bus runs right past the hotel to the Metro.

There are 5 of us. And seems the bus fare is $3 a trip in Laval. That would run $30 riding bus to and from the Metro, plus any added fair if required for the metro from there. If this is in fact the case, our next option would be to drive to a metro station within the downtown zone and park there.

But I would prefer not to drive my car for the 3 days we visit Montreal. 3 day fare card is $16, and we are also considering the Museum Pass (but that doesn't include the Star Wars exhibit which my kids say is a must see).

Hotel might also run a shuttle that could run us to the metro, but don't see anything listed on their site.

Mentioned in this post
Laval
Laval
Quebec, Canada
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,456 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Laval - Bus/Metro - 3 Day Transit Pass

It is doubtful that you will fond free parking near any downtown hotels.

Can your points stretch to any downtown Hilton family hotels.

My son lives downtown and often goes to the Montmorency metro, he pays $3 per trip out of the basic STM zone. This covers the metro and the bus. But at $30 a day it might reduce your savings enough to make Laval a poor choice.

Email the concierge to see if there is a shuttle, but I doubt it as those Laval hotels really are business hotels. There is street parking near Montmorency if you get there early enough. But the concierge should also be able to advise on travel from their location.

Driving downtown from Laval daily should not be part of anyone's holiday plans, have to leave to do it now and I am not looking forward to it. Traffic is insane!

Mentioned in this post
Laval
Laval
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laval - Bus/Metro - 3 Day Transit Pass

Ok here is the rundown:

TRANSIT AUTHORITY TECHNICALITIES

The STL is the transit authority in Laval.

The STM is the transit authority in Montreal.

The AMT mostly takes care of trains but also offers passes which are across zones. Like an umbrella society. Depending on the zone, it covers fares from several transit authorities (laval is zone 3 and up). the higher the zone, the more territory it covers.

Buying a bus ticket from STL will not secure you a metro ticket (STM) from the montmorency station. Buying a metro ticket (STM) will not secure you a bus ride with the STL.

So for 1 person = 3$ stl bus ticket + 3$ metro ticket from montmorency = 6$ gets you downtown.

*There is no 3 day pass for zone 3 AMT.*

There are zone 3 ticket bundles but they will not work for STL busses (according to the website). A monthly pass would though.

The STM sells 3 day passes for 16$. These are good for the STM busses and the metro (even from the laval stations). These are a good deal.

FROM THE HILTON LAVAL TO THE METRO:

Your best bet, for the number of people you are, is to drive to MontMorency station and park there or nearby. There is some free parking and some paying parking.

You could also call a minivan taxi and split it between the 5 of you.

Basically, what i am saying is avoid having to take the STL busses. For you it is not convenient nor economical. Better to take the car and find parking or pay for parking near the metro station.

Mentioned in this post
Laval
Laval
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laval - Bus/Metro - 3 Day Transit Pass

About bogwoppit's comment about driving downtown. Traffic is indeed insane in rush hours, but it is ok during the day. Being on vacation, you may have a different schedule then the working class.

Once on site, you can be the judge on what is the best decision.

Portsmouth...
Level Contributor
86 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Laval - Bus/Metro - 3 Day Transit Pass

Thanks to both of you! Very helpful.

Saving grace is it's near impossible getting my herd out of the hotel prior to 9:30. And two of the evenings will be seeing University of Nevada Las Vegas playing basketball somewhere in Montreal. So we will be out late both evenings.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Laval - Bus/Metro - 3 Day Transit Pass

I second for the drive to Montmorency station. That way you will be able to leave and come back at any times (well Cinderella hours) and just pick your car for the short ride back and forth to your hotel. Then it will cost you either a very reasonable parking rate or even free and you could buy 3 days passes for the remaining of your journeys

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Laval - Bus/Metro - 3 Day Transit Pass

P.S. just check in advance what are the specific schedules for your days staying late as the métro is usually open till 12h30 to 1 am on week-days and 30 hours later on week-ends. All depending on the station and the direction of the train.

9. Re: Laval - Bus/Metro - 3 Day Transit Pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 09, 2013