We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proximity of Notre Dame to train station

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Proximity of Notre Dame to train station

I'm thinking of taking a train from NY to Montreal. I would like to visit Notre Dame while in Montreal. Can anyone tell me if Notre Dame is close to the train stop?

Old Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,658 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proximity of Notre Dame to train station

Are you talking about the cathedral ? If so, it is less than 10 minutes by cab from the train station.

Montreal
Level Contributor
811 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proximity of Notre Dame to train station

From the train station you are looking at about a 15-20 minute walk, or app. 8-10 minute cab ride to Notre Dame Cathedral.

Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Proximity of Notre Dame to train station

Thanks

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proximity of Notre Dame to train station

If the weather permits it, i would walk it. It would allow you to see some interesting buildings along the way :)

15 minutes walk sounds about right.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,633 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proximity of Notre Dame to train station

Again confusion about Notre-Dame Basilica and Marie-Reine- du-Monde-Cathedral.

The Cathedral is almost across the street from the train station but the Basilica of Notre-Dame is farther away and is the one that everybody want to visit.. It is walkable in about 20 minutes and it is a bit convoluted to get there by métro (subway). A cab will cost you less than $10

Edited: 12:23 pm, June 26, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,335 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proximity of Notre Dame to train station

To perhaps add to the confusion Rick mentions, Marie-Reine-du-Monde cathedral is also a basilica (and has been one for over a half century longer than has Notre Dame). To further confuse, there are two additional basilicas in Montreal, St Joseph's Oratory and St Patrick's basilica.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proximity of Notre Dame to train station

I think pointing out that there si confusion spread more confusion hehe.

The only confusion is the used of the term "Cathedral", but we (i hope) are all talking about Notre-Dame Basilica, in Old Montreal.

The Marie-Rein-du-monde is 2 min walk from the train station. It's not nearly as famous, but stilla nice church. It's downtown.

Notre-Dame is about 15-20 min walk away, depending on how fast you walk. It's in Old Montreal.

8. Re: Proximity of Notre Dame to train station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:46 am, June 28, 2013