We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best OB Hospital in Case of Emergency

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best OB Hospital in Case of Emergency

We're heading to Montreal tomorrow on vacation and I am currently 4 months pregnant. I don't expect to have any complications or emergencies during our trip, but in case I do I would like to have a plan for which hospital/facility would be the best place to head.

We will be staying downtown (Le Centre Sheraton and Holiday Inn Express Centre-Ville), so I'm wondering which hospital you all would recommend for our location as well as the best possible pregnancy care.

I spoke with my insurance company and it seems I will be covered in the case of an emergency (regardless of which hospital), however I'll likely have to pay the bill in full while there and file for reimbursement when I get home (which is fine).

Any help you can provide would be wonderful! Thanks in advance!

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best OB Hospital in Case of Emergency

Well, I figure that in case of emergency, the closest hospital would be the one you want, no? In that case, Saint-Luc is just a few blocks from the Holiday Inn Express, and the Royal Vic is the closest to the Sheraton. Besides, you don't get to choose if you call 911 -- they do.

If you want to walk in or take a cab, then you do get to choose. In that case, it may help for you to know Saint-Luc is a French hospital and Royal Vic is an English hospital, but I doubt you'd have any problems if you chose Saint-Luc out of convenience -- most everyone speaks English, and certainly emergency personnel do.

Fort Worth, TX
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best OB Hospital in Case of Emergency

Thanks Tristou. I agree that if it's a normal life-threatening emergency I would definitely be going to the absolute closest location. However, if it's more of a pregnancy issue to where my doc just wants me to get checked out ASAP, I'm thinking that there might be a hospital or facility that possibly is known for their OB/pregnancy care that I would have a better chance of being seen at without having to wait hours and hours in an emergency room - even if it takes an extra 15-20 minutes to get there.

I read on other posts that emergency rooms can get quite busy with very long waits due to the free/cheap healthcare. If this is the case, and there is a better option for my situation, I wanted to ask the question. If not, I'll probably just go to the closest hospital.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best OB Hospital in Case of Emergency

Hmmm.... there are indeed some hospitals with respected birth clinics -- the Jewish General for example -- but you don't just get to show up and see them. You'd still have to go through emergency, which is set up for triage, and I would say that people showing up with no real emergency, rather than the fact that healthcare is universal, is why there can be long waits sometimes. Those who aren't in any real emergency wait. Arrive in advanced state of labour and you'll see just how quickly you get served :)

There are also medical clinics that are run privately -- one in the train station, for example, although I don't know if it's open on weekends. Alas, not all take people without an appointment, and if it's not an emergency, they may not take you at all given you're a tourist; if they did, it would be the same deal: you pay, then get reimbursed by your insurance (and check with your insurance before going, or you may find that they'll deny your claim once back in the U.S., sigh, given that it's an "existing condition")

You also might try phoning 811 which is the government health care line and explain your situation. They have a list of which clinics accept walk-ins across the province and can tell you the closest ones; I doubt they'd be able to say which have particularly good OB skills, though.

Edited: 5:26 pm, May 25, 2012
Montreal
Level Contributor
940 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best OB Hospital in Case of Emergency

Royal Victoria Hospital is very well known for prenatal care. If you did have a pre natal emergency, and showed up, you would most likely be seen promptly .

I gave birth to my son at the Jewish General Hospital, and was admitted on an emergency basis one time because I had not felt the baby move for a few hours. I was whisked up to the maternity ward, hooked up to a fetal monitor and was taken care of immediately.

Both hospitals are teaching hospitals, English hospitals, and have great maternity wards. The Royal Vic is obviously closer to your hotel, up on Pine ave near University st. The Jewish is on Cote St Catherine st near Cote des Neiges st.

Try to relax, hydrate, wear good shoes, eat properly, sleep enough and you should be fine.

Enjoy your trip.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,361 posts
821 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best OB Hospital in Case of Emergency

At the hospital emergency or clinics that do not require appointments, expect a wait of several hours unless your situation is life threatening.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
587 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best OB Hospital in Case of Emergency

Ste-Justine, although a bit further, would be my choice Yes it's a pediatric hospital, but it still has one of the best OB/Gyn services. They have an internal medicine unit dedicated to pregnant women.

Edited: 12:33 am, May 26, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,538 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best OB Hospital in Case of Emergency

Sainte-Justine is indeed a pediatric hospital. Should the baby need special care, it would likely be sent there.

I can also vouch for Hopital Jean-Talon's OB/Gyn, which i found were great.

Lastly, Jewish General, is one of the best overall hospitals in town. Their system's are up to date and they are well organised. All the doctors want to work there, so you should be tended by good staff.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
11,354 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best OB Hospital in Case of Emergency

THe OP is four months pregnant, pediatric care would not be the issue. The emerg. at St Justine, The Jewish or The Royal Vic are probably the way to go. They all have ob/gyn's on call,

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,361 posts
821 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best OB Hospital in Case of Emergency

Also read the fine print of your insurance carefully so you do not face the same kind of bill that this family from Australia got: …nationalpost.com/2012/…

10. Re: Best OB Hospital in Case of Emergency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:42 am, June 21, 2013