We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time going to Montreal

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
First Time going to Montreal

What attractions/ restuaraunts are must dos for first timers? I will only be in town for 2 days but really want to catch all the most important sights!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,440 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time going to Montreal

Budget???

Queens, NY
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time going to Montreal

not a very big budget - would love cheap but good - sorry should have mentioned that in my original post.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,595 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time going to Montreal

Since we get this question a lot, i've simply created a list of top things to do in Montreal:

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i22845-Top_Thin…

As for restaurants, well that depends on your budget and tastes. We have a lot of choice here.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time going to Montreal

Here is a cut-and-paste from a previous message asking about cheap eats, with suggestions that will get you out of the downtown core, too.

La Binerie Mont Royal (367 Mont-Royal E): greasy spoon breakfast-lunch with baked beans, a local speciality.

Schwartz Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen (3895 Saint-Laurent): famous smoked meat. The Main (3864 Saint-Laurent, across the street) is fine as well if the line-up is too long at Schwartz.

Pho Bang New York (1001 Saint-Laurent): Vietnamese, good and fresh. I like #25 -- grilled chicken with imperial roll on vermicelli.

Aqua Lunch (in the Carrefour Alliance food court, St-Catherine and Peel). Yes, it's a food court, but they serve good fish, big salad, rice, and steamed vegetables... all on a real plate, too. There is another in the Eaton Centre food court, minus the real plates.

La Paryse (302 Ontario E.): okay, it's not cheap for hamburger and fries, but it's absolutely delicious. Line-ups galore at peak hours, however. If the line-up is too long, go around the corner to Croissant de lune (1765 St-Denis): Crêpes, breakfasts, hamburgers, omlettes, sandwiches.

Bangkok (in the Faubourg Sainte-Catherine just west of Guy): another food court, but their pad thai is a lot better than many I had while in Thailand.

Le Titanic (445 rue Saint-Pierre): good ol' home cooked lunches and sandwiches. Simple but good food, and great atmosphere. But get there early, and not open on the weekends.

Le Santropol (3990 Saint-Urbain): hippy flower-power atmosphere with big sandwiches and a very student crowd.

La Petite March (5035 Saint-Denis) has Italian and French dishes, and sometimes is amazing quality for the price, sometimes it's very so-so, but the coriander soup is always delicious.

Soy (5258 Boulevard St-Laurent): asian food with a tasting menu at something like $35 per person, which is a steal for what you get. Not extremely high-end, but very nicely presented and very delicious.

Chez Doval (150 rue Marie-Anne Est): Portuguese grilled meats, yum yum, in a crowded low-ceilinged loud restaurant where you feel you've been invited to a big Portuguese family's BBQ.

L'Harmonie de l'Asie (65 Duluth E.): delicious Vietnamese, tiny with no reservations, wonderful family-feel again, but it's bring-your-own wine.

Amelio's (201 Milton): student pizza-and-pasta place, byob as well.

L'Académie (4051 Saint-Denis): it's big, it's crowded, it's loud, and urban fashionista foodies would never be caught dead in it, but it has decent food for not much money in a nice setting and it's a bring-your-own-wine restaurant, too. It's cheaper during the week (you'll notice your bill is less than the price on the menu), the ravioli and chicken breast are to be avoided at all cost, and if you get the third floor facing the window you see the cross on the mountain as you eat -- what could be more Montréal?

...speaking of bring-your-own-wine places: this is a wonderful way of saving money and getting sloshed -- er, enjoying wine with dinner. There are no corkage fees, and despite what some people may believe, you can bring beer or coolers or cidre or even fortified wines, but nothing harder (so no spirits, for example). There are tons of them, some on the lower end and some quite high end. Most are found in Le Plateau neighbourhood -- I found a good list here, but if you search a bit, you'll find some with more information: restomontreal.ca/districts/…

Also see www.montrealfood.com for reviews, or the venerable www.chowhound.com for all things food!

Lancaster...
Level Contributor
7 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time going to Montreal

Tristou had a great list, I would also add La Banquise, Brit and Chips, and Qing Hua Dumpling as some good, low-budget eateries. I go up to Montreal on a budget a few times a year, and always hit at least two of them per trip.

If you like craft beer, make sure to check out Dieu du Ciel's brewpub. Incredible beer, and the charcuterie platter is pretty good.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time going to Montreal

I would add Romados (Portuguese Rotisserie)

Excellent meals for 8$ ish per person...

=D

enjoy Montreal!

7. Re: First Time going to Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:41 am, June 19, 2013