We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Restaurant Recommendations in Ville St. Laurent area

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, CA
Level Contributor
570 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Good Restaurant Recommendations in Ville St. Laurent area

Hello. Looking for a nice french or contemporary restaurant to celebrate an 85th birthday, in Ville St. Laurent. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have found many fine restaurants that fit the bill in Old Montreal. Thanks for your help!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Restaurant Recommendations in Ville St. Laurent area

"I have found many fine restaurants that fit the bill in Old Montreal"

Unless your recommendation comes from Chowhound, or a reputable, non-tourist site, i would reconsider any french restaurant in Old Montreal. The high tourism in Old Montreal has the unfortunate side effect on restaurants, making them focus more on appearance then quality, and boosting their prices.

VSL is not known for it's french restaurants. However, I still have some recommendations:

-Divino is italian. It's new and open space restaurant. I ate there when it first opened 2 years ago and i liked it very much

-Terra Cotta, a more formal, long standing italian. I have never been there myself though i heard it is good (and expensive).

-40westt steakhouse. VERY classy modern decor, good food! Not quite in VSL but still in the West Island. Many go there to entertain and impress business clients. It's not french though i have found that everybody's interpretation of french fare has differed over the years, particularly from non-french people. http://www.40westt.com/

For authentic french fare, i would go to Lemeac or L'express. It's not at all in VSL though. Reservations recommended.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
11,796 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Restaurant Recommendations in Ville St. Laurent area

I disagree about the lack of good restaurants in Old Montreal. Nowadays there are many good French inspired restaurants around that area. Example: Club Chasse et Pêche, Chez l'Épicier, L'Autre Version, Bonaparte, etc.

For a 85 y.o. birthday celebration I would favor Bonaparte which is the most French and the most cosy. Second would be Chez l'Épicier. Yes I wrote French inspired as I agree with my esteemed colleague Silve that what is French for anglophones is really difficult to pinpoint. Most restaurants in Mtl nowadays are owned by Québécois chefs that have classic French training but go beyond that.

I also agree with Silve that Ville Saint-Laurent is far from Old Mtl, in fact on the opposite side of the island. And yes French restaurants in that area are far and few.

I would never invite a 85 y.o. at L'Express as the "buzz" of the place is not suitable and there is no intimacy at all. It is a place to see and be seen.

But Leméac is a very good suggestion, it is located in Outremont so alfway between Old Mtl and VStL. Same area La Chronique would be even better. Well the chef is Belgian, not French but we won't nit pick on that here...

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,007 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Restaurant Recommendations in Ville St. Laurent area

Yeah, I've been scratching my head trying to picture a French restaurant in VSL and couldn't think of one at all. But RestoMontreal came up with Le Montclair at 747, boul. Décarie just south of de l'Église... 9 reviews, although many are in French, most positive but many saying it's loud. Which is what you expect in a French bistro, of course.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Restaurant Recommendations in Ville St. Laurent area

Yes there are a lot of interesting restaurants on Decarie (the boulevard, not the highway). I haven't tried many yet, but many seem quite interesting.

Ottawa, CA
Level Contributor
570 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Restaurant Recommendations in Ville St. Laurent area

Thanks everyone for the replies. We will try Lemeac- looks delish!!

6. Re: Good Restaurant Recommendations in Ville St. Laurent area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, June 12, 2013