We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting for 8 days in July--where to stay

kansas
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting for 8 days in July--where to stay

Reading all the comments are very helpful, but i would like to ask where to stay. Want to be able to walk to shopping, restraunts, and to go to night clubs. Should we stay in Old Montreal. Looking at TA recommendations Loews Vogue, St. James or the Ritz (which opens in May). Thank you for any imput.

Arts Monaro
Art Galleries
Epices de Cru
Gift & Specialty Shops
Renaud-Bray
Gift & Specialty Shops
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting for 8 days in July--where to stay

Lowes has a very good reputation and is right downtown so you will find a ton of restaurants and bars around plus some clubs and strip bars thrown in the mix. Mind you Mtl is lucky to have one of the very few downtown cores in North America that is safe and vibrant.

Saint-James is located on the boundaries of Old Montreal and has a very high reputation but I don't know if I would really like to spend 8 days there. May be split locations half and half between Loews and Saint-James?

As per the Ritz I will not recommend it at this stage, it was supposed to reopen in the summer of 2010 and then got postponed to 2011 and now they will open only next May. We have an expression in french for guest in a new place:: "essuyer les plâtres" litterally to help remove the plaster dust! So there will be a lot of kinks to repairs and staff to train and get comfortable in the new environment so I would wait on that one.

Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
12,961 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting for 8 days in July--where to stay

Sometimes for a stay that is longer than a few nights a suite type hotel can be very nuce. WIth bigger living areas and kitchen to add to your comfort.

Look at the Embassy Suites, near the Old Port as they have lovely suites, new and beautiful. They also have a very nice included breakfast and managers reception with drinks in the evening. Nice location next to the Old Port and by the Champs des Mars metro station to give great access to the rest of Montreal.

I also would avoud the Ritz for now, a May opening is not guaranteed. These things often gets delayed by many months.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,845 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting for 8 days in July--where to stay

Sily me that I didn't think of a suite as I had this experience first hand. Indeed I used to work for a company headquartered in Chicago and had to travel there often. Once I decided to extend by two week-ends my working week and to do so got accomodations much less luxurious than what the company usually provided and just loved it! And mind you I was alone but just to be able to enjoy a separate living area made a lot of difference.

So for a suite that will go in the same price bracket then a room at the Saint-James you could actually look at the W or the Westin. Both, like the Saint-James, are on the periphery of Old Montreal (the Westin a wee bit closer) and you can also walk to Downtown in less than 15 minutes but that is going up an hill.

So both are not right in the middle of the most exciting places but you won't be far and there are plenty of dining options nearby anyways.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting for 8 days in July--where to stay

I totally agree with Bogwoppit Embassy Suites would be well worth a look. I have just left there after 3 nights and totally recommend it. The rooms are modern and big with comfortable beds and each is well appointed with fridge and small kitchen.

As mentioned there is a "happy hour" each evening from 5.30 to 7.30 which entitles each guest to 2 free drinks (beer, house wines, cocktails)

The breakfast is also inclusive each morning and is great value for money.

All staff were fantastic and I could or fault the place - really god value for money and in a great location.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
23 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting for 8 days in July--where to stay

I totally agree with Bogwoppit Embassy Suites would be well worth a look. I have just left there after 3 nights and totally recommend it. The rooms are modern and big with comfortable beds and each is well appointed with fridge and small kitchen.

As mentioned there is a "happy hour" each evening from 5.30 to 7.30 which entitles each guest to 2 free drinks (beer, house wines, cocktails)

The breakfast is also inclusive each morning and is great value for money.

All staff were fantastic and I could or fault the place - really god value for money and in a great location.

6. Re: Visiting for 8 days in July--where to stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, December 26, 2012