We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear (Mid of Dec)

Hong Kong, China
1 post
Save Topic
What to wear (Mid of Dec)

Hi,

I come from Hong Kong. I will have to business trip to Montreal in mid of Dec. May I konw what to wear in Montreal? Need boots? I never have experience in weather below 0.

Thanks!

PS. I am a man.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,054 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear (Mid of Dec)

Yes boots, although if you are going to buy them for your trip, you might think of buying them here instead, since we have insulated boots which are warmer. You can get cheap boots at places like Payless or Yellow or Pitt.

Keep in mind that if you're only going to be going from the hotel to your taxi and to a restaurant, you can get away without boots or indeed special winter clothing -- unless there's a snowstorm, the sidewalks will be clear, and you won't freeze to death crossing the sidewalk. (It's quite amusing to see just how little people can wear in winter here if you look at young women lined up to get into clubs at night :)

However, if you plan on exploring the city, dress in layers -- for example, a shirt, a sweater, a thick polar fleece, and something that cuts the wind. If it's very cold, you may want long underwear which can be found here at department stores and sports stores, although good quality can be expensive.

And stop often in cafés and boutiques and such to warm up :)

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,869 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear (Mid of Dec)

As you are on a business trip you can probably manage to spend as little time outdoors as possible. Most office buildings in the city are connected via underground tunnel. Some hotels are also connected to the underground city.

In the city you can probably get away with not wearing boots even if there is some snow. You could buy some simple rubbers to put over your shoes. You hotel can direct you to the nearest place to get some. If you bring whatever your warmest coat is, it should do it. We had people sometimes visit us on business trips wearing only their suits. It is not a problem if you limit your time outdoors.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
19,148 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear (Mid of Dec)

Hat, gloves and scarf too, if you want to go for a walk to see our city and feel our winter.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,613 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear (Mid of Dec)

The most important part is to keep the extremities of your body warm and dry.

-Insulated boots, it doesn't have to be large snow boots. My own boyfriend actually wears a pair of "boots" which suspiciously looks like regular sneakers. The important part is to keep dry and have it cover your ankle so snow doesn't get in.

-Get a hat. Yes the provebial tuque.

-Gloves are a must. Again, you don't need huge snow gloves, a pair of leather ones with a lining works.

-Coat: Something with at least 70% wool for clean coats.

Having lived in Hong Kong, i will respectfully and exceptionnally disagree with Tristou. Buy it in HK. You wont have the abundance of choice but you'll literally pay 10% of what you would pay here. We have 14% sales tax and our items are move expensive, not even mentionning the exchange rate you're getting.

There are shops that sell winter clothing or clothes that are adequate. Particularly places for sports will have a few choices. Try the City Gate outlets or Langham Place or something. Or ask the HK forums!

Mentioned in this post
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear (Mid of Dec)

If you need basic wool cap, gloves, scarves, long sleeved T shirts, even long underwears you will find them at dollar stores. The biggest being from the Dollarama chain, there is one downtown in Le Faubourg building (third floor). It is located on Sainte-Catherine street just west of Guy and just a stone throw away from one of the Concordia University building that is linked to the Guy métro (subway) station.

Mentioned in this post
Sainte-Catherine
Sainte-Catherine
Quebec, Canada
Concordia University
Concordia University
23 Reviews
Montreal, Canada
6. Re: What to wear (Mid of Dec)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, June 23, 2013