We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Chateau Champlain vs Fairmont Queen Eliz?

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
292 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Chateau Champlain vs Fairmont Queen Eliz?

I can potentially stay at these during GP, albeit at exorbitant prices. My husband and I will be with 2 kids, aged 6, 8. Either of these stand out? The Fairmont will be about 10% more.

Also, I can get some others on Expedia only, i.e. not through the hotel directly (Delta Montreal, Sheraton Four Points, Omni Mont Royal). I am leary of doing it through Expedia vs the hotel directly (afraid we'll pay for the room, but it won't be available when we get there)- but am I just being paranoid?

Sorry for all the hotel questions- its just so hard to book them with any doubts at these incredible prices!

Thanks again!

Kristen

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Chateau Champlain vs Fairmont Queen Eliz?

Hi Kristen,

My son and I will be traveling to Montreal for the GP, and I too am facing the same hotel dilemma. In years past, we have not had this much trouble finding rooms available (especially when, as now, there are plenty of race tickets still available).

As for the two hotels mentioned, I have stayed at both but can't say that I have a real preference. With the two young children, you may prefer the Queen Elizabeth because of what I think is the slightly better location (the Marriott borders a big downtown park that can get a bit crazy at times).

I would not hesitate booking on Expedia, Travelocity or Orbitz (evidently they have a hold on blocks of rooms at some of the hotels - and, as you, I have seen that some are not even available through the hotel site). If you don't mind the extra cost (everything is so expensive), the Omni Mont Royal is my favorite Montreal hotel.

As you probably already know, most of the hotels mentioned have a "no cancellation" policy - the entire room amount is charged to your credit card immediately and no cancellations are allowed without forfeiting the full amount. This is generally the case whether the room is booked directly through the hotel site or Expedia, etc. Oddly, I think the Four-Points (you listed it, but I would not recommend it for the family, especially at the prices quoted) booked directly through the hotel site has a no refund policy, but I believe I saw it available on one of the travel booking sites and it allowed cancellations.

Sorry I couldn't provide you with more substantive help. I keep hoping that some rooms will "open up," but am worried about the risk of having even less of a choice.

Let me know if you find any gems available. Hope you and the family have a great trip.

Bob