We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Tour : Montreal to Niagara Falls?

Montreal, QC
2 posts
Save Topic
Bus Tour : Montreal to Niagara Falls?

Can anyone recommend a bus tour from Montreal to Niagara Falls?

All I can find online is via Gotobus / Taketours but after all the negative reviews on this forum, I'm very hesitant.

At $174 for a 3-day/2-night tour (bus + hotel included!) it's plainly Too Good To Be True.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
3,550 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Tour : Montreal to Niagara Falls?

Niagara Falls is 7 hours away, as you likely know since you live in Montreal.

I suggest you get a car (or take a bus/train to toronto) and get there on your own. Then rent a hotel (many good ones are as cheap as 99$/night) and walk around. It's such a touristy town (and small) a bus tour doesnt make sense.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Tour : Montreal to Niagara Falls?

Yes you can try Tours Amériques but those are 3 days tours for Toronto, Niagara Falls & Peninsula..

As per what Silve wrote the minimum drive is indeed 7 hours but that is not counting the huge traffic jams on the 401 and QEW around Toronto so if you consider the time needed to visit the attractions around the Falls and extend a bit in the Peninsula then it is impossible to make it as a day tour and 3 days is "de rigueur" if Toronto is included.

Montreal, QC
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Tour : Montreal to Niagara Falls?

Thanks for the responses :)

I've got relatives in from Europe so I was thinking of a bus tour because of the other stops. 3-4 days worth.

Tours Amériques looks good, but I should have thought of this sooner, first available booking is 2 weeks away. :(

I also found Frenzytours.com but their only date to Niagara is in Aug (they seem to be a Mtl -> New York outfit).

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,051 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Tour : Montreal to Niagara Falls?

Vacances Beltour is another possibility.

Dover, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Tour : Montreal to Niagara Falls?

Never take this company, they servis is horrible, even if you booked trip a few days before departure they canceled it, because it sold out. To me it happens twice and even once they canceled my hotel, without any warning!!!! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

Dover, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Tour : Montreal to Niagara Falls?

Never take this company, they servis is horrible, even if you booked trip a few days before departure they canceled it, because it sold out. To me it happens twice and even once they canceled my hotel, without any warning!!!! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!

Gurugram (Gurgaon...
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Tour : Montreal to Niagara Falls?

Hi jukidio...Which tour did you finally take?

I am planning to travel in September and not sure which one to take...

Grapevine
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Tour : Montreal to Niagara Falls?

Avoid TakeTours at all costs. We got stuck with their Montreal to Quebec City tour after they didn't confirm and we booked the same tour on Grey Tours. They then told us they would not refund our money so took their tour and swapped Grey's out for a trip to Ottawa (which was wonderful btw).

TakeTours charges just the bus fare - about $40 to Quebec City and the Falls. Once you're on the bus, they collect another $48 for lunch (at a low scale cafeteria), cable car far to the top of the Falls, entrance to the falls and I don't know what else. Ended up being more expensive then Grayline. The guide was a Chinese gentleman who spoke broken English, broken French and Chinese. There were a few Chinese people on the bus and I believe some of the office people we talked to originally were Chinese (probably Chinese owned). They worked with Wondertravel bus tours (probably subcontracted them). The guide and bus driver never traveled together before and argued about where to drop us in Quebec City. The drive said most tours dropped at the upper city and the tourist walked down. Our guide had us dropped at the bottom so we would know where to meet the bus in 2 hours (too much time wasted at the Falls waiting from someone who didn't come back) and the cafeteria (would have rather ate lunch in Quebec City). The only history we received was when we were taken to an observation tower in town which was a self-guided tour that gave information on the 360 degree view around the city. Another waste of time (but I guess that's the other charges we paid).

So minimal guide commentary that you couldn't understand with hardly any time to enjoy Quebec City on a bus without a bathroom (numerous bathroom stops - more time wasted).

Our Grayline tour the next day was heaven compared to this. Great guide (Mrs. Nash) who gave us a highly informed and entertaining tour of Ottawa. The bus had a bathroom - everything was delightful including the great office person in Montreal - Andriana who not only arranged to have our tour tickets exchanged when we had double booked Quebec City with them - she walked over to the breakfast place she recommended to us before the tour to retrieve my credit card I'd left there and arranged to send it to my hotel.

Montreal, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Tour : Montreal to Niagara Falls?

finally what is the best way for a woman alone to get to Niagara,from Montreal by bus tour??,for a couple of days...

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,552 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus Tour : Montreal to Niagara Falls?

Hi chicolaballe;

As was suggested in reply #1 by my esteemed colleague Sylve684, make your own way to Niagara Falls and then see the city on your own.

If you insist on a tour, wait until you arrive in Niagara Falls and then ask your hotel's concierge to suggest a local company.

Best Regards