We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Montreal in February - bad idea?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting Montreal in February - bad idea?

I am planning a romantic weekend for my wife and I and we really want to visit Montreal. Is it a bad idea to go in February? Its the only month we can travel for a while, but we don't want to go if the weather will be miserable. We both like the cold, but is it too cold?

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Montreal in February - bad idea?

Unfortunately buckeyes, its so hard to predict the weather nowadays here in Montreal. For example, last January, we were freezing our butts off with -25 weather almost every day unlike this January, I think we have all forgotten it is actually winter, it is rather warm for this time of the year with +3 degree weather. Go figure!

That being said, I personally would suggest coming March or April but then again, we may have colder weather in those months than now.

Sorry for the confusion, worst case scenario if you absolutely are going to come in February, bring boots, dress warm and make the best out of it :)

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Montreal in February - bad idea?

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately, we cannot make the trip in March or April so if we come at all, it'll have to be February. I am actually thinking of coming next weekend, the 3-5. Hopefully the weather will work out. Also, is the Ritz-Carlton a nice place to stay? Is it central to attractions and good restaurants? Thanks again!

Montreal, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Montreal in February - bad idea?

The Ritz is one of the more upscale fancy hotels in downtown montreal. Yes, it is centrally located, in the heart of downtown, close to shopping and restaurants... But then again, most hotels in montreal are in downtown. If the ritz isn't too pricey, go for it! But there's also Novotel, Sheraton, the Delta, De La Montagne, the Hilton..the list goes on and on. Don't worry about the weather, it's worth it!

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,029 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Montreal in February - bad idea?

I'd check out the reviews here -- some people have complained about the Ritz not being quite up to par.

Aside from the cold, February is a fine month to visit. April is probably the worst month to visit Montreal. All the pretty snow has melted, there are no leaves on the trees, and the whole city is filthy from the dirt they put on the roads all winter. Best to wait until mid-may.

Of course, even when Montreal's at its worst, it's still a great place to visit.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Montreal in February - bad idea?

Thank you all so much for your help and quick responses. We are going to come up next weekend. I'm embarrassed to say that this will be my first visit to Canada, but I can't wait. Thanks again.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Montreal in February - bad idea?

Don't be embarassed buckeyes, I have still yet to understand why people come here. I know Montreal is a great city and all but I think i'd rather be in Philadelphia.

Montreal, Canada
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Montreal in February - bad idea?

Hey buckeyes, best of luck!!

Seriously, what is "too cold" if you are from Florida for example, I would delay my trip!!! On the bright side, if you stay downtown you can find a great hotel which is connected to our underground network, which means that you can shop, go out to eat, see a movie (including IMAX) or go to a concert hall without going outdoors.

I hope you decide to go as we have plenty of great restaurants and deals for a truly romantic weekend.