We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hop on and off bus tour

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Hop on and off bus tour

We're traveling to Montreal Sunday for three days. We just found some info. on a hop on and off bus tour. Has anyone done this or have any info. about it? Also, we are staying at the downtown Residence Inn. Are there any must do restaurants in the mid-price range in this area? Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hop on and off bus tour

This "hop on hop off" tour I understand is approx 2 hours and although I haven't heard a lot of feedback on it, this is really what you are paying for. Since getting around Montreal is extremely easy with our public transit, I don't feel that this "hop on hop off" is really worth the extra money on its own.

You didn't mention your ages or how many of you are travelling, but I definately recommend you visit Old Montreal while here. You can walk along "Place Jacques Cartier" which is the main square in the heart of Old Montreal with lots happening both day and especially busy and entertaining on a weekend evening. You'll find street artists / entertainers, face painters, caricaturists and many local vendors. At the bottom of this slopped street, there is King Edward's Pier. Here you will find the Montreal Science Center which is a great indoor activity for the whole family and an especially good option if it rains.

Access to Old Montreal is easy (as previously mentioned) from where you are staying. You can use our public transit including the metro (subway) system that takes you most anywhere in the city and is also part of our famous "underground city."

As far as restaurants, give some info as far as your ages and food preferences so that recommendations can be made - there is just sooooo much to choose from in our great city !

Texas
Level Contributor
101 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hop on and off bus tour

Thanks for your quick reply. It is just my husband and I on this trip. We love most kinds of food. Just nothing spicy and we are trying to eat more healthy. I would like to also try some crepes. We will defintely stroll through Old Montreal. We are also going to see the Basilica. Of course, I will enjoy a little shopping. By the way, is it safe for a woman to walk around downtown by herself? Thanks for any info. you can offer!

Montreal, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hop on and off bus tour

Will try to give you some suggestions but will also provide links for you :

Creperie Chez Suzette is in Old Montreal and has a great reputation. Here is the link so you can take a look at their location, menu & prices. www.creperiechezsuzette.com/index_eng.htm

Another one of my favourite restaurants right in the heart of the Old Montreal area is Jardin Nelson. They have healthy choices, and a beautiful terrace where you can eat outside (my husband doesn't ever like to eat outside but will always want to here). I'm including the link for this one as well so that you can see some pictures and review the menu & prices. http://www.jardinnelson.com/en/home.html

Keep in mind that this is a busy time of year for Montreal with the Jazz Festival (try to go) and restaurants get lineups. Try to go at a time that is not the most busy so you won't have to maybe deal with that. You can also try to call for reservations but I'm not sure that they will be giving any.

If you are looking for a "steakhouse" we have Gibby's. Gibby's is great (a little on the expensive side and you will definately need reservations. Here is the link to read on it and review menu www.gibbys.com Parts of this restaurant dates back to the 1600's and has a warm and romantic atmosphere. It's a popular place for people to go when celebrating something special. If you are celebrating a birthday or anniversary, tell them. They provide a complimentary cake (not good for the diet) and they "used to" take a complimentary picture of you at the table but I don't know if they are still doing this any more.

These 3 locations are all in the Old Montreal area. If you want anything in another area, please let me know. Shopping in Old Montreal is fun. There are a lot of local artisans and souvenir shops. As far as walking alone, it is the same as anywhere. Keep your purse close, don't walk into dark or secluded areas alone, and stay aware of your surroundings. Montreal is as safe as any other major city and any/all precautions you would take there would be the same to apply here.

As far as shopping, your hotel is just west of the center of our downtown and major shopping area. You can walk to St. Catherine from your hotel and just head east into the center of our downtown or you can take the metro to either the Peel or McGill station and go from there. There is soooo much shopping all around here. One place you can be sureto go to and is well known here is the Montreal Trust complexe. Link is …shopping.ca/listcategories…

I hope this helps - let me know if you need more but otherwise drive safely to our great city and wear good walking shoes because you'll be doing a lot of walking and enjoy our great city.

Albany, New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hop on and off bus tour

I was in Montreal about 2 years ago and took the Hop-on-hop-off-bus. I would recommend it highly. It gives you an overview of the city and it takes you to places you may not see in the few days you have there. From that overview, you can decide where you’d like to go to spend more time. For me it was the botanical gardens, which I didn’t even know they had and then we spent some time in Old Montreal. It was well worth the time to do this.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
53 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hop on and off bus tour

I've never taken it, but I would probably recommend it. While yes the public transportation is relatively good, you're mostly underground and not seeing much other than dark tunnels. I tend to take the hop on/off bus tours every city I visit. You get a nice elevated view of the city and you're SEEING things on your way to your next destination.

Montreal, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hop on and off bus tour

I'm glad you're getting feedback on the hop on hop off tour portion itself - since I'm in Montreal, I haven't taken it myself. Please take the other members' advise on this. I just hope that the other info I've provided is of help to you.

Keep in mind the following information should any of these places be part of your plans while here :

Although the Biodôme and the Insectarium are closed indefinitely because of a labour dispute involving the city of Montréal, please note that the Botanical Garden and the Planetarium remain open as usual, according to their normal schedules.

Montreal, Canada
14 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hop on and off bus tour

Please also make sure you check out this site for the Jazz Festival. There is must to do and much to see and so much is "free" This is all taking place in the downtown area. Keep in mind that a lot of the streets will be closed off and only accessible by walking because of it but definately worth taking in. Our very own Montrealer Nikki Yanofsky is always now part of this special event. Please make it part of your time here - you won't be disappointed but bring an umbrella as most of these street events will subject you to getting very wet if it rains (I always seem to get caught in the rain during the Jazz Festival)

www.montrealjazzfest.com

8. Re: Hop on and off bus tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 21, 2010