We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxicabs

NY-NJ
1 post
Save Topic
Taxicabs

Hi folks.

My son and I will be in Montreal this coming spring. We will visit the inexpensive way. Instead of doing the typical tourist attractions, we would like to venture off by foot into some of Montreal's neighbourhoods as well as familiarize ourselves with the subways, buses, and local points of interest. I do have a few questions.

1- In the beginning before we orient ourselves, we may need to use some taxicabs What is the current taxicab rate in Montreal? How much would a 10-15 min ride cost?

2- Anyone have any tips on taking the buses or subways?

3- We will stay at the Days Inn on Guy and Rene Levesque. Any comments on that part of town? Is it safe and decent?

4- Since we will venture by foot most of the time, can anyone honestly tell me if there are any unsafe neighbourhoods we should steer clear of? Take no offense, but coming from NYC, I can think of many neighbourhoods one should steer clear of here.

Thanks in advance.

San Juan, Puerto...
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Taxicabs

Hi Indofemme:

I just return from Montreal and I think is one of the more safe city I have visit. I did what you want to do WALK.

Once you orient yourself(Think as the river as south and the Plateau as north that work for me)is a really easy city to walk and you won't feel it. I also venture to St. Denis. Nice neighborhood with lot of small shops and restaurants. To be honest with you probably you won't need the taxi. The city was made so you can walk or either take the metro easily.

I suggest, that if you are going to be more than a week you can buy a "hedo" card at the metro station it provide you unlimited access to the metro system for a week. Get the map of the metro you will find it in the internet and a map from Montreal in advance.

Pin point the hotel in the map so you can plan your trips.

You most see the Musee d'Archeologie et d'Histoire du Montreal, is a new building located in the place where the Old custom building use to be in front of the Vieux-Port. They have this wonderful multimedia presentation that give you a breif glance of this great city since it's beggining.

I felt in love with the city and is was almost winter. So I thing you will love a colorful sping.

Larissa

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Taxicabs

Larissa

Love is blind and black & white too so thats why you are waiting for a colourful spring LOL.

Yeah, it seems that you have explored the city by walking and now sharing your experiences with so much affection and feelings.

Days Inn on Guy / Rene Levesque is very central and also very safe. Right across the hotel on Guy there is a police post too, so don't worry :-) and for your information Montreal is a very safe city, people say whatever crime happens in NYC in one day happens here in one year.

The East end is a little bit dicy but still safe, you cannot call it unsafe. Just don't walk alone in dark lonely streets or lanes in the middle of the night and you would be fine. Streets like Ste. Catherine (West) you will see people all night even during the winter nights.