We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Boston

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Boston

We're planning to drive up to Montreal from Boston. I've checked a number of different map sites re: the best route. Some say Rte. 93 to Rte. 89, while others say Rte. 93 to Rte. 91. The mileage and time both ways seem pretty comparable. Any recommendations?

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Boston

Interstate 87 is best for you. Interstate 89 comes via Vermont, you are coming from Boston, so take 87. I always take Interstate 87 it is the fastest and shortest route from Boston to Montreal.

From the US-Canada border downtown Montreal is only 25 minutes drive. From there follow signs of Centre-Ville-Downtown Montreal / Pont Champlain Bridge.

Once you are on Champlain Bridge (you won't miss it 'coz it is 4 k.m. long) you'll see the downtown Skyline, just stay in right lane on the bridge and take exit # 58 showing downtown sign (highway 10 West ents at downtown) and becomes rue University.

Cross Boul. Renelevesque and St. Catherine Street, turn left on Boul. Maisonneueve you will find plenty of parking lots. Park in supervized, underground parking lots as the open air lots are not safe and at night time there is no one to supervize them. Price wise there is not much difference.

There is a good one on McKay Street, between Ste. Catherine and Boul. Maissoneuve.... you have to turn left on Maissoneuve and go upto McKay which is after Bishop Street. CAD 12.00 for 24 hours parking.

Very central location for supervized parking, underground metro station Guy-Concordia is just one minute walk from there.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Boston

Ok Jak, Im sorry but I have to TOTALLY disagree with you on this topic. Ive driven to Boston atleast 20 times in the past 5 years and Ive taken the I-87 route and regretted it.

Take I-93 to I-89 Route. You can look it up on mapquest.com they will probably give you that route. If they dont, they are dumb.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Boston

AB

I don't disgree that you disagree with me 'coz today is Saturday and you are at home as they say too much agreement means no fun, so you are disagreeing for the sake of disagreement right?

LOL..... good luck..

May be I am wrong because I did not go to Boston 20 times. But from the Canadian border, rather Champlain bridge those instructions I wrote would bey handy, so honky pls keep them and ask Bella to guide you for the rest.

Take care.

Boston...
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Boston

Thanks for the suggestions. (I didn't realize a mundane question like this would start an online feud...)

Has anyone ever taken Rte. 93 to Rte. 91? Both AAA and Google Maps recommend this route; it's the first time I've heard of it.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Boston

Honky dont worry about the feud lol We fued all the time.

But like i said, ive been down that road lots of times and I like the I-93 to I 89 route.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Boston

There is no fued here its all honkydory. AB and I always disagree (except for food) to create some interest here otherwise it would be so boring and monotonous, after all what are friends for? LOL

Hope your Sunday was fine AB, the sun was shining this morning and most of the day was very nice. I got some freshly baked bagels and eating with Boursin Cheese (pepper) with tea and they are gr8. Don't tell me that Boursin is also one of your fav. cheese. :-)

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Boston

Yes what are friends for? ;)

Never had Boursin cheese to be honest with you. Im a big fan of Swiss Cheese though and any type of Italian cheese.

Weekend was action packed and what a hockey game last night!!!!! Yes we had fabulous weather this weekend in Montreal, we are being spoiled! I hope that the weather is like this next weekend Jak!! (you know who is coming!)

Hope you had a good weekend too!

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,433 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Boston

Who is coming next week????? I think it was this week, and the fear of the unknow is over for you :-)

Boston/CT
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Boston

Honky: Definitely take 93 to 89. I was in Montreal last weekend. It should take you a little under 5 hours,stopping 1X. Enjoy!

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Boston

See Jak, even a Bostonian said it was the better route! :)