We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport should I fly into?

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Which airport should I fly into?

I thought I would fly up to the Montreal area and practice my french a bit. I noticed there are two airports to choose from a Montreal or a Pierre Trudeau. Is there a better option or should I let price be my guide? Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airport should I fly into?

Nope, there is only one airport that you can fly to -- Montreal Pierre Elliot Trudeau, which used to be called Dorval.

(There are actually two other airports -- St-Hubert and Mirabel -- but they don't count.)

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Dorval
Dorval
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airport should I fly into?

There is only one airport, Montréal–Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport. It's located on the western half of the island, in the suburb of Dorval, about a fifteen minute drive to the city center.

Mentioned in this post
Dorval
Dorval
Quebec, Canada
Chicago
Level Contributor
8,484 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airport should I fly into?

I am confused because when I try to make my reservation on United, it asks which airport I want and my choices are YMQ or YUL. One is indeed Trudeau, the other is Montreal Airport.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airport should I fly into?

Dorval Pierre Elliot Trudeau is known as YUL. That's the only code I have never known. YMQ seems to refer to Metroplitan Montreal from I've read. Which means nothinng to me as Dorval is the only International airport in Montreal.

You definitely want to go to Pierre Elliot.

Interesting question.

Mentioned in this post
Dorval
Dorval
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airport should I fly into?

Airline systems often have codes for metropolitan areas. For example, YTO is Toronto, covering flights at both YYZ and YTZ (the island airport). QLA gives you the Los Angeles area (LAX, Orange County, etc).

YMQ is probably left over from the days when there were flights to both Dorval and Mirabel. Since Mirabel's out of the picture, I think you'll find YUL and YMQ give identical results.

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Toronto Pearson Intl Airport
Toronto Pearson Intl...
Mississauga, Canada
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Dorval
Dorval
Quebec, Canada
Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,060 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airport should I fly into?

YMQ is the code for all montreal airports... as far as I know, Mirabel handles cargo exclusively now and St-Hubert handles local planes... although I remember reading a while ago that St-Hubert was trying to woo Porter airlines to them...

St-Hubert was the original airport for Montreal, actually, before they built PET.

And …wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_airports_in_the_… shows a huge list of airports for the Montreal area... who knew?

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Milwaukee,WI.
Level Contributor
414 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which airport should I fly into?

Porter Air flies from midway to montreal for good fairs visit the website.

8. Re: Which airport should I fly into?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:29 am, November 27, 2009