We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Newbie to Montreal

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Newbie to Montreal

My wife and I are coming to Montreal for 4 nights in the spring-time (Apr 26-30) enroute to New York for 6 nights. Very excited as neither of us have been to either city before.

We've already gleaned alot of info from TA and I see that there are experts in this forum that seem to know as much about New York as they do about Montreal!

So here is our plan: We'd like to stay in Old Montreal and are thinking about either the Hotel du Fort or maybe the Ritz-Carlton Montreal? We'd like to stay in a place that has a historic charming type feeling. In New York we're looking at the Belvedere? Upper West Side about 5 blocks south of Central Park. We'd like to try and keep the nightly rate around the $225 CDN range...

Comments?

Also wondering if a quick day trip to Ottawa would be worth the time or if three solid days in Montreal would keep us occupied and amused?

Thanks!

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Newbie to Montreal

<<So here is our plan: We'd like to stay in Old Montreal and are thinking about either the Hotel du Fort or maybe the Ritz-Carlton Montreal? We'd like to stay in a place that has a historic charming type feeling.>

Neither the Hotel du Fort nor the Ritz Carlton are in Old Montreal. They are both in the downtown area (Crescent St. area).

If you want Old Montreal, try these places:

Hotel Gault

Le Saint Sulpice

Hotel Place d'Armes

Le St. James

Hotel Nelligan

Hotel St. Paul

All of them have good reviews in the Montreal Hotels section. Tthey are also a little pricey, but you can probably get some better rates in April. Keep in mind that Old Montreal, while very nice, is a bit isolated from the main downtown area. You will have to walk a bit to get to the metro or you can take a cab to downtown.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
114 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Newbie to Montreal

Hey - thanks for the tip Bob. I didn't realize that those two hotels were outside of Old Montreal until I learned a bit more about the area.

I have since found a hotel called the Bonaparte. It backs directly onto the Bascillica and seems to have favourable reviews and is around $200 CDN per night.

Can't seem to find anything priced at that point in that area that has so many favourable reviews.

Thoughts anyone?