We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Vermont to Montreal - Any Concerns?

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
3 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Vermont to Montreal - Any Concerns?

Hi there -

My husband and I found that it is much cheaper for us to fly into Burlington, Vermont, than it is to fly into Montreal directly. Has anyone tried renting a car in Vermont and driving it to Montreal? About how long does this take? Should we expect any issues when crossing the border (either way)? Do rental car companies allow this?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

:)

wa
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Vermont to Montreal - Any Concerns?

no problem if you are returning the car to burlington... but one way rental car prices can kill ya if not.

Can't remember the exact time, but seems like it was ~ 2 hrs to downtown.

If you're not in a hurry, take one of the ferries across the lake on the way... either from burlington, or grand island to platsburg.

Montreal
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Vermont to Montreal - Any Concerns?

how funny is that...we are doing the same but in reverse at the end of the month driving to VT to fry into SF. I just did a test drive last week-end and it took about 2 hours...watch your speed because it varies as you drive though towns...very much farm area. It's an easy drive and the road directions from map quest were perfect! I don't know how much it cost to rent a car but if your staying downtown you don't need a car. You should find out if there is a bus into Montreal...call the airport they may be able to help. So any tips for my trip to San Fran...any spots that locals hang out at that I should too? Is the drive down HWY 1 to carmel worth it?

Have a great time in Montreal!

Montreal
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Vermont to Montreal - Any Concerns?

Lindacc...I'm going to SF and driving down to SD (with a stop in Carmel) ...i've been told by a friend in SF that Carmel is primo!

Vermont
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Vermont to Montreal - Any Concerns?

I actually live in the Burlington area, and make frequent trips to Montreal. Lived in NYC for 20 years before relocating to this small town, so I need the city life!

Anyhow, the drive should take on average between 1.5~2 hours. On my first trip up to Montreal, I did not need a map. I just followed the signs. At the border (both ways), just go through the motions, don't fidget around, and you should be just fine. Also, make sure you are not bringing back any vegetables, fruits or beef, or any other potentially risky stuff. Not sure about the rental car issue.

Another thing to point out. Once you get into Canada, there is a stretch of local highway, route 133, which alternates between single lane and double lane. Just be aware of this, especially when driving at night. Also, the roads can be very bumpy on this stretch of local highway.

Vermont
Destination Expert
for Vermont
Level Contributor
2,174 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Vermont to Montreal - Any Concerns?

Just came back from Montreal today. No problems crossing the border either way. US officials will ask for Identification. If you have a passport, bring it. Otherwise, along with your driver's license, bring your birth certificate. Definately no fruits, vegis, or meats can cross the border. Was salivating at all the sweet corn for sale on the Quebec side, but knew we couldnt bring it home.

On the way up to Montreal, we took a different route. Drive through the Champlain Islands. Gorgeous.

Montreal, Quebec
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Vermont to Montreal - Any Concerns?

Just one thought however-I find parking in Montreal a real nightmare: expensive and confusing so if you do rent a car make sure that your accommodation has parking and prfereably free. Also time your journey as you dont want to be driving to or from Montreal during rush hours, the bridges get pretty backed up and there is quite a lot of construction at present.