We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Laurent

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york, ny
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
St. Laurent

Hey ther AB,

I know this is an area you recomend often.

I am fortunate that you are very familiar with the city with which i am most familair myself: boston.

which street/neighborhood in the boston are would you compare this area to...if any?

the guide book i have calls it "bohemian" which could pretty much mean anything depending on who is using the word (i am not quite sure what it means to me).

just curious.

thanks!

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Laurent

Hi Curlhead. May I but in? Maybe Harvard Square back before it got polished? Now maybe out Allston or even Brookline Village way? Or a little of today's South End flavor? OK, what does AB think? Sorry to but in...

new york, ny
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Laurent

do not be sorry! i forgot that you were a bostonian as well.

i recently moved from inman square back to NYC (and miss boston so much...)

from the desciption on this board of st. laurent (upscale, fashionable, etc) it kinda sounds like newbury street (not really my scene) but with more nightlife. i am encouraged by your comparisons.

thank you!

Hoboken NJ
Level Contributor
304 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Laurent

As a former resident of the People's Republic of Cambridge IMO there is no real similarity between St Laurent and Newbury Street. St Laurent has great restos, clubs and feels more like Montreal than Crescent which is like a big frat party North of the Border. I always thought Newbury Street rather snooty and Boston rather quiet but then I had moved there from LA so it was major culture shock. Loved Cambridge until it became too gentrified. I mean they replaced the Tasty with an Abercrombie :(

Boston
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Laurent

I couldn't really compare St Laurent to anything in Boston either. Crescent St is closer to Newbury in Boston, I'd say.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Laurent

Hi guys, so nice to get into work and read your postings, you make me smile! :) I hope you all had a great weekend because I sure did!!

Firstly curlhead, when I am in Boston I don't much of a chance to really hit the clubs mainly because I stay in Billerica and it���s a little far from the city but I have managed to hang out on Landsdowne which reminds me a lot of Crescent st here in Montreal (right luv and fire?) Just to name a few that I;ve been to: Pravda a few times which was nice, I hate Axis and Avalon, been to Manray out in Cambridge which is definitely not my scene but was interesting lol

Yes that was great comparing Crescent to a frat party lol That made me laugh because it is so true, that is why I seldom go there and have started to enjoy St Laurent much more. Yes it is a little snobby/posh and classier and people like to see and be seen there but it's a lot of fun. Saturday I was at Buona Notte (food was good, music was incredible) with 2 friends of mine, and we literally felt that we were in a fishbowl and everyone was looking in but that���s the way it is on that street but honestly if you are not into that, then maybe stick with Crescent st.

Another thing to keep in mind about St Laurent, is the money issue, drinks and food are not exactly cheap but I have eaten at Med for 40$ with 2 Rhum and Cokes included. Buona Notte was a tad pricier this weekend lol Curlhead though, I hope I am not throwing you off with all this, I want you to have a good time while in Montreal! There are tons of clubs on St Laurent who aren���t like Med/Buona Notte and Globe (same owners, same ambience) that offer free v.i.p passes out on the streets (some that do that are Exit, Upper Club, London) and are more budget oriented.

When are you guys coming down? A nice website you might want to look at is : worldsbestbars.com/city/montreal/index.htm

new york, ny
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Laurent

thanks guys. i was just wondering how to picture it.

st. laurent sounds nice, if a little pretenious, and more our speed (as long as i don't have to be a model to get in, lol).

i think cresent street sounds obnoxious, thank for the warning. i mean, i will probably wander by and see for myself, just to see it, but i don't expect to linger too long.

AB, i am sure that you and two girlfriends are more stare-worthy and me and the bf. :) we will be in town august 17-21.

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Laurent

Cool, you'll be in town for my birthday, I'll surely be on St Laurent that weekend lol

Yes Crescent can be obnoxious but don't miss it, its fun nevertheless!

And no you don't have to be a model, I wouldn't classify anyone at Buona Notte this past as models, not that Im model material but most of the people at BN were out of shape except for the wait staff. A little tip for you on these type of places, if you are going to eat there, make reservations ahead of time and make it for their second service (10pm) or else if you go too early, they will kick you out to give up your table for the next service.

new york, ny
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Laurent

thank you for the advice. i very much like the idea of eating dinner some place and just staying on for drinks, etc. and i hate having dinner too early so, that works out well.

i will surely check out cresent street and all the other neighborhoods that i can. this is my first visit to montreal, so i plan to see as much, and as many areas, as i can.

Rhinebeck, NY
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Laurent

I am staying in a condo close to St. Laurent for a week. I chose a location close to St. Laurent because its reputation as a "bohemian"/funky/jazzy neighborhood. With all these posts about it being upscale and posh, could anyone clarify that there are still fun and inexpensive places for a few fun 17-19 year olds around this area? Thanks!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: St. Laurent

St Laurent to me is "multicultural". You've got hebrew delicatessan, my favourite hungarian butcher (Fairmont Meats, best steak EVER), belgian fries..... there's just so much variety and its fun to wander along there.