We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What about late November?

Southern California
4 posts
Save Topic
What about late November?

We live in Southern California, and usually end up working all summer. We've been taking a short vacation around Thanksgiving for the last several years, but usually in the southwest when this is a good time to travel. But this year we have some frequent flyer miles, and we've always wanted to visit Montreal and Quebec City. Is this out of the question for late November?

tenafly, new jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What about late November?

We live near NYC and usually go to Montreal annually to visit relatives. July is normally when we go but the city is packed for the Jazz Festival and its hard to get reservations. Last year we decided to go over Thanksgiving and did not know what to expect weather wise - we brought warm clothing and layered outfits. As soon as we crossed the border it felt like Christmas. The air was crisp and cool and homes were decorated with xmas lights - the city felt very festive. Old Montreal was particularly pretty but deserted - the restaurants all had fireplaces on and many had their Xmas trees all decorated - there were snow flurries one evening and it got down to about 30 degrees - the days were around 50 degrees - we did not have any rain for 4 days. Many people were visiting from the states and its a very popular place to visit over the Thanksgiving holidays per my relatives - people start their holiday shopping there. If you go you'll enjoy the change of weather from southern california - the restaurants are all so good and hotels are very nice - clothes shopping is very european in design - many parisian styles. Have not been to Quebec City in years but heard its great and even better than Montreal - very quaint - mostly all French spoken there. Montreal is bilingual. Have fun.

Hoboken NJ
Level Contributor
304 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What about late November?

November is a great time to visit Quebec City and Montreal. For Thanksgiving I usually go to Montreal and catch the ViaRail train to Quebec City. A nice three hour ride and if you go Via 1 class the food and service is excellent. QC has so many wonderful little hotels and B&B's or you can stay in one of the large chain hotels. I like the Terrasse Dufferin which is located next to the Chateau Frontenac but without the high room rate. QC is like a wonderful cozy French village. It rained last year when I was there however, I was tucked away in my riverfront room and looking out at the St Lawrence perfectly content. Montreal is a wonderful city with lots of culture, shopping, museums, etc. I find that a couple of days in QC is more than enough time to see the sites and relax and then head back to Montreal for a faster pace.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What about late November?

Just a couple of cautions: The days are quite short at that time, and you'd miss much of what the two cities are all about: the cafes and the outdoor activities. And brrr. Can you push it up to September, or October before the days really get short? Actually, fall color is during September.

To be sure, Montreal is well adapted to its climate with its extensive "underground city", but your Thanksgiving visit would be all about shopping, probably - and maybe the symphony.

Quebec has cafes galore as long as the weather supports them, and the Plains of Abraham (a grassy park big enough to - almost - field one of the world's last Napoleonic battles, but that's another story) and the Terrace Duferin are wonderful places to stroll before the weather turns cold. Also, the Plains of Abraham has a glorious flower garden, in season. Now, that said, Quebec City hosts a glorious winter Carnaval, but that's a whole other story, too.