We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

toque restauant

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
baltimore
Level Contributor
7 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
toque restauant

any recent visits? other fine dining suggestions?

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: toque restauant

Great restaurant.....prices are a little high.

My friend Orni might be able to give you more of a review though. Keep an eye out.

ornithorynx@canada.c...
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: toque restauant

Fine dining?

Go to la Chronique, same price range. Small, intimate restaurant, food, and especially service, is better than Toque in my opinion. The chef is Belgian.

For something cheaper than Tocque, cozier and, in many respect, as good, try Laloux.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
855 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: toque restauant

I had the taster menu 2 years ago at Toque! and it was very tasty however the atmosphere was very stiff, the portions almost laughably small and it was quite expensive ($125 Can/pp before drink, tax tip). At the same time, we did sit for the 5pm sitting (we couldn't get in for 8pm) and we seemed to be the only ones in the restaurant at this time (Friday night during the Jazz Festival). We're going back again to Montreal this year and we're going to try Cafe Ferreira, Au Pied Du Cochon and La Brunoise. Reviews are good on for these on www.chowhound.com (although again, 2 years ago Chowhound couldn't stop going on about how wonderful Toque! was.

Hope this helps!

ornithorynx@canada.c...
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: toque restauant

If you go at Fereirra, make sure to ask to be seated at the front. The back has low ceilings, air does not circulate well and it is near the open kitchen, which makes it very noisy.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: toque restauant

I would skip Toque if you only have a night or two in Montreal. We just had dinner their two nights ago July 5, food was good...not great, service was poor the server had a poor a typical better than you French attitude, not what I was looking for when spending this kind of money. I was happy to only tip 10% more than what he deserved. I would suggest the Hunting and Fishing Club on St Cloud. Rustic atmosphere and exquisite entrees, but food was worth it.

ornithorynx@canada.c...
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: toque restauant

While I love to bash Toque, I don't think that they have a "French" attitude. I think that the service is not as polished as it should be given the price. I think you must come from a small place and just felt intimidated or that you are a racist.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: toque restauant

Ornithorynx you are correct! The service was exceptionally unpolished! And their anti-Anglo racism showed through. Those from small towns might enjoy Otto @ the W, it has a homey atmosphere, and I also suggest the Wunderbar for after dinner drinks( quite and understated for small town folk). Hopefully those you take my recommendations will not have their evenings spoiled by elitists like Ornithorynx.

Montreal
Level Contributor
82 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: toque restauant

Nice Jab emannh ...

ornithorynx@canada.c...
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: toque restauant

Doesn't change the fact that you made a racist comment.

Toronto, Ontario
Level Contributor
855 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: toque restauant

When I ate at Toque! 2 years ago, the service was stiff but I never thought it was because I was English. Anyway, I was in Montreal 2 weekends ago and went to 3 fantastic restaurants - Cafe Ferreira, La Brunoise and Au Pied du Cochon. All were excellent though they varied consdierably in price. Ferreira had fantastic seafood (it's a portuguese restaurant) but was about $200/meal with wine for the Fish & seafood “Cataplana” on fresh pasta and Grilled lobster with basil on a tomato & lemon risotto. www.ferreiracafe.com

Bruinoise seemed to be in a french residential neighbourhood and the food was also wonderful. You order a 3 course meal and everything was delicious and very affordable. www.brunoise.ca

Close by was the best restaurant/cafe I've ever eaten in 'au Pied du Cochon' was a very traditional Quebec Cafe in a residential neighbourhood that had the most amazing seafood platters on ice, wonderful friendly atmosphere and the most amazing pork chop and poutine I've ever eaten. You must go and eat at this restaurant if you are in Montreal. (sorry don't know the website).