We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train from Toronto to Montreal

Atlanta
4 posts
Save Topic
train from Toronto to Montreal

What is the best and cheapest way to get from Toronto to Montreal in February? Some friends and I are visiting Toronto and then going to Montreal on Sunday the 24th. Any suggestions? Thanks

Atlanta
4 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: train from Toronto to Montreal

Sorry I should have been a little more specific...

We have been looking at taking the train but the cheaper fairs are sold out. I was wondering if we got the more expensive tickets that are exchangeable, if we could exchange them for cheaper ticket if they become available? Does anyone know anything about that? Thanks

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: train from Toronto to Montreal

"Best" and "cheapest"? Which one do you want? I'd say the best would be a private chauffeur in a nice limosine with parhaps some nicely chilled champagne, but not so sure it's the cheapest.

I would say the train is the best choice -- the bus takes longer and isn't as nice nor that much cheaper. If you catch the express train, it'll take just 4 hours, compared to up to 7 for the bus.

Since you're going the 24th, there still should be some cheap seats left, but be sure to book fairly soon as they sell out quickly. Right now, they have a special on for $59 one-way, so a round-trip with tax will cost you $123.90, non refundable and non exchangeable. (FYI, the Greyhound bus also, conveniently, has a $59 special...)

Go to www.viarail.ca; when you choose your train and fare plan, select Special fare to get the cheap rate. You'll also see a Supersaver rate option, which is for now refundable or exchangeable, but a round trip will cost $161.70, and if you need to change ro refund the ticket, it'll cost you another $15 extra.

If that's really too expensive, you might consider ridesharing, say http://toronto.craigslist.ca/rid/.

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train from Toronto to Montreal

Sorry, just read your 2nd post more carefully. Try www.viarail.ca again -- I just looked and there were indeed cheap seats available, just not on the express trains. Oh, well. It's still faster than the bus.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,666 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train from Toronto to Montreal

If the train doesn't work out, you could also consider renting a car and driving. It's more or less a straight line.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,559 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train from Toronto to Montreal

Hi;

February weather can create some of the harshest winter driving conditions. Montreal is a good 6 hour drive from Toronto, in good weather !

The route from Montreal to Toronto, Hwy 401, parallels Lake Ontario, and is known for blowing snow, white-outs, and black ice.

Unless you are used to driving in extreme weather conditions, I would NOT recommend beginning to do so in Canada, in February!

Your best options would be the train, or the bus.

Best Regards

Scotland
Level Contributor
201 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train from Toronto to Montreal

We want to travel from Toronto to Montreal by train but would like to stop off in Kingston for 3-4 days, should we get a through ticket or separate ones ie Toronto-Kingston then Kingston-Montreal, any advise welcomed thanks.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,559 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: train from Toronto to Montreal

Hi Anna;

I believe that you will need to purchase a ticket from Toronto to Kingston, and then a second ticket from Kingston to Toronto.

You can contact Via Rail directly;

www.viarail.ca/planner/en_plan_aide.html…

There is a contact form at the bottom of the page that you can use.

Best Regards

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: train from Toronto to Montreal

After ride-sharing, Coach Canada has to be the cheapest mean of transportation between Toronto and Montreal. When you buy a return ticket, the return costs $10....

And they have discount tickets as well (I simulated a return journey here: http://sales2.coachcanada.com/index.php)

Timetable (had to cut the link in chunks, so TA would accept it): coachcanada.com/coachcanada/ss.details.asp… (AND) up&c1=Toronto&s1=ON&c2=Montreal&s2=PQ&resultId=19 (AND)4946&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Fcoach (AND)canada%2Findex%2Easp&cbid=478508759893

Montreal
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
5,038 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: train from Toronto to Montreal

For a stopover, you may want to do a little research online when buying your tickets -- according to viarail.ca/planner/en_plan_arre_mult.html, you can stopover at no charge if you buy a regular fare ticket; however, if you buy 2 tickets at supersaver prices, it may cost you less...

10. Re: train from Toronto to Montreal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:22 am, September 19, 2009