We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time In Montreal

Which Montreal hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
2 posts
Save Topic
First Time In Montreal

My husband and I are visiting Montreal for the first time this summer. My brother and his wife are coming as well, my brother's wife is originally from Montreal so we will be well advised on what sights to see.

I would like to know about shopping, my sister in law is not a shopper!!

1). Are their any outlet/factory malls in Montreal?

2). Are there any good shoe stores that are not too expensive?

3). What is the best mall in Montreal?

Thanks!!

Montreal
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time In Montreal

1. We don't really have outlets in Montreal...we do have factories in the fashion district of Montreal but it's nothing to brag about they are open on Sat morning until 12:00 for the public...I've never bought anything...

2. Shoe stores we have ALDO, Browns, Pegabo, Global, and a few other chain stores... There is a place on Green Ave. called Toni's not cheap but sometimes have good specials.

3. Montreal Downtown shopping is all connected by underground tunnels...Place Montreal Trust, Eaton Center, Place Ville Marie...youmight not even know which one your in. Another nice shopping center if your going to Laval (a city north of montreal...30 min drive from downtown is Carrefour Laval...very large (may stores repeat in various malls)

Enjoy!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time In Montreal

There's a Le Chateau factory outlet out near the Walmart near the Namur Metro station. I had a field day at that place, I am not kidding there were skirts from 99c, and there were heaps of bargains (picked up a really nice pair of going out pants for $10 and i will be sure to be back there!)

Fort lauderdale
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time In Montreal

I have to admit, Le Chateau warehouse just outside of the Namur metro station is a good place BUT theres lots of the clothes that have slight defects so watch out. I learned my lesson.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time In Montreal

this is true... but im not terribly fussed about a defect at $10 for a pair of pants as opposed to paying $40 for a pair of pants elsewhere that dont last long anyway ( i went to GAP and paid $70 for a pair of jeans which after 3 months developed a hole in the butt!!)

There are actually quite a few great stores along Mont Royal st too which I've noticed to be a little less pricey than say St Laurent or St Catherines, if you are lucky enough to be in town when the street festival is on that street (or even for Main Madness where St Laurent is closed off and all the shops put out everything on sale) then you're bound to find great bargains too,,,

Montreal
Level Contributor
196 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time In Montreal

For the Montreal version of outlet shopping, check out Marche Central on l'Acadie, just north of the Met (aka Highway 40). Everything from Tommy Hilfiger to La Vie en Rose to L'Equipeur (Marks something or another)

For shoe stores, try Ste-Catherine Street between de la Montagne & the Eaton Centre - affordable (& decent quality)shoes are Fx LaSalle and Simard & Voyer.

Best mall isn't really a mall but an amalgamation via the underground shopping going in an Easterly direction starting from Les Cours Mont-Royal (Peel & Ste-Catherine), through Simons, through Place Montreal Trust, through Eaton Centre, sidetrip to Place Ville Marie, then back through to the tunnel to Eaton Centre then through to Les Ailes de la Mode, then through Les Galeries de la Cathedrale & finally ending up at The Bay (La Baie).

Have fun!

Montréal (Québec)
Level Contributor
83 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time In Montreal

For inexpensive, trendy clothes, go downtown to SIMONS.

ornithorynx@canada.c...
Level Contributor
887 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time In Montreal

For cheap shoes go to yellow: I'm sure there is one at Carrefour Laval.

Montreal is not really an outlet kind of town, it is more about boutiques, scattered in various clusters around the city, Old Montreal, St-Denis, Laurier St., Westmount, Plaza St-Hubert