We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Montreal or Quebec?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
102 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Montreal or Quebec?

We are planning a trip to Montreal or Quebec, and possibily both. We have never been in that area of Canada. We have about 10 days. We like cities that are historic, busy and with some amount of charm. How should we spend our 10 days?

(Another option might be split the time between one of the cities and New York. We have been to New York several times and don't feel the pressure of needing to sight see there.)

Thank you,

Patty

Port Saint Lucie...
Level Contributor
185 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Montreal or Quebec?

I would spend time in each city. Montreal is a much larger city, with more to see and do, in general. Quebec City is probably more historic - especially if you stay within the walls of the city - everything in walking distance - great restaurants. You probably wouldn't go wrong with a 5 day split in each city - or could do 6 and 4 either way.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Montreal or Quebec?

Depends on how you like to spend your days on vacation. I found Quebec City charming and quaint, but a bit touristy and had nothing but HORRIBLE service in the local restaurants. Montreal, on the other hand, has some of the old world charm in the old port area, but the hustle and bustle of a large, diverse city.

Personally I would spend less time in Quebec and more in Montreal, but if you're looking for a quiet vacation, Quebec is better for that.

Good luck.

Montreal, Que
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Montreal or Quebec?

Trying to squeeze in a trip to New York would probably be too much- there's no handy train (not that I could find anyway), flying is too expensive considering that La Guardia and JFK aren't that close to NYC, a bus trip is 8-9 hours (I went last week-very long drive), and if you drive, parking is an expensive nightmare.

Quebec, on the other hand, is easily accesible by train and car-maybe go for 2-3 days at the end of your trip? Definitely stay inside the walls. That's the part of Quebec city you'll really want to experience.