We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Border Crossing from I-87 and Passport in Maiden name

Maryland
Level Contributor
117 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Border Crossing from I-87 and Passport in Maiden name

We will be crossing the border from I-87 on August 21 (Tuesday). Generally how long does the crossing take? Should we expect a line?

Can anyone let me know what to expect going in and coming back? I have never crossed the border by land before. I have traveled exstensively to other countries by plane though. Is it similar? Do we fill out forms?

I also had a question about my passport which is in my maiden name. My travel agent suggested just traveling across in my maiden name and not mentioning that my name has changed due to marriage. Is this good advice? My other option would be to bring my marriage certificate along, and being honest about the name change.

We will also be bringing our dog accross the border. The Canadian government website said all we would need is a rabies certificate to import a pet dog, but my travel agent said to be safe and also bring a health certificate. I am also going to bring a letter of good health from the vet. Is there anything else that the agent may ask for relating to the dog?

Thanks so much!

philadelphia
Level Contributor
380 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Border Crossing from I-87 and Passport in Maiden name

We just crossed at the same location a few weeks ago. You usually stay in the car during the crossing (no forms, etc.), unless you have things to declare through customs, which we didn't. The line took about 15 minutes to a half hour to get to the border official. On the way there, she just looked at our ID's and asked where we were going and why. Back to the U.S there were additional questions (birth place, why we choose Montreal, etc.) and he looked in our trunk. But both crossings were no big deal.

Luckily, my new passport with my married name came in just 3 days before we left. Without that, I was told that I would need a birth certificate, drivers license and marriage certificate. But I didn't have the maiden name passport (had to mail that in to get the new one), so I really can't comment on your situation.

However, if you are traveling with children, I've heard it can be a real issue if you all don't have ID's with the same name.

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Block Island
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Border Crossing from I-87 and Passport in Maiden name

We travel quite a bit to Canada without passports (yet that is) and it is a snap getting in. Where are you staying, how long, etc. The passport requirement will NOT be in effect when you travel, (I'm going up two weeks before you without one) Coming back, to our own country, can be another thing altogether. Most times it is easy. My wife and I declare everything, have nothing to hide, have never been pulled over for an extensive search. Sometimes, however, you get the over eager board guard who yells if you burp. If you are as relaxed going up as you are coming back, then you should be fine. Remember, get your Canadian and Quebec tax paid back to you at the duty free shop at the border just before you cross back and show the guards any receipts you might have if they ask. Show the receipts to the clerks at the duty free shop also or no tax refund. The items must be over $50.00 dollars, food or dinners not included. Have fun and enjoy.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
18,664 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Border Crossing from I-87 and Passport in Maiden name

Sorry, the GST refund program was cancelled as of April 1st this year. No more refunds....

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Border Crossing from I-87 and Passport in Maiden name

I stand corrected and thank you. That tells you the last time I was north, which was March actually. Good to know though. Since our dollars are about equal in value now, I looked forward to that little bit of return. Any reason why the government did it.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Border Crossing from I-87 and Passport in Maiden name

Never cross at I-87. You can get stuck in long waits, and if there are any issues, you may have to report inside to the Canadian customs/immigration office and wait on the bureaucrats.

Better idea is to exit at Champlain, NY, and take Rt. 11 East until you see the sign for the high school, and head North (rt. 276). You'll encounter no wait, and probably encounter few, if any questions. That'll will put you on Rt. 221 in Canada. Go north a few miles, take a left, and you'll back on the highway to Montreal.

Seriously, few of us locals hassle with the I-87 crossing. Too many semis, too many confused tourists, etc... I'd rather drive 5 miles than wait 45 minutes any day.

Just use mapquest for Champlain NY and you'll see the route I'm talking about.

Maryland
Level Contributor
117 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Border Crossing from I-87 and Passport in Maiden name

Thanks so much. I didn't realise there were so many smaller crossings. My husband and I are all for a more scenic route anyway. I abhore the highway.

Has anyone ever taken the Herdman Crossing (Rt 374 (from Chateaugay, NY) to Route 202 (to Herdman, Qc)?

We were thinking if we took one way to Canada and a different path on the way back we may see more. Any thoughts?

Thanks to everyone for the great responses.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Border Crossing from I-87 and Passport in Maiden name

Haven't taken the Herdman crossing, but I have cut across at Mooers NY to Hemmingford QC. Great butcher in Hemmingford (Abattoir Viau), and a nice resto/pub, the Wit's End. Can't see any reason go go further west than Mooers/Hemmingford. Most of us hate driving along Rt. 11 in NY. There's really nothing to see, and you get behind lots of semis and old folks.

Boston
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Border Crossing from I-87 and Passport in Maiden name

Followed WonderTrev's advice about crossing at Champlaign, NY instead of 87 and it was just about the worst thing I could have done.

For some reason, the overzealous Border Guard at the Champlain crossing just assumed that because I wasn't going straight up the highway like any other non local would have, that I must be either illegal or trafficking something illegal in the car.

So be prepared to go through every extra step if you take this route, including a trip inside to have immigration called and an examination of your bags and car. Honestly its probably BS that you don't need and waiting in line at 87 is the better route.

Hamilton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
109 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Border Crossing from I-87 and Passport in Maiden name

We drove UP through vermont, then across the border..and drove through to Montreal ....easy crossing (atually is is easier getting IN to canada than BACK to the US......oh well......) then we came back along 87...

Bummer about the tax refund...that was helpful for wither buying stuff in the duty free, or getting some gas money!!! Still, it's not so much a bummer that I won't go to Canada anymore......

Massachusetts
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,711 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Border Crossing from I-87 and Passport in Maiden name

I agree. It is always easier traveling into Canada than out, back to the states. We should actually start a new thread about the easiest way to get back, and I'm not talking about from a lack of secruity standpoint,which is important, I mean with respect to the least traveled and fastest to get thru. Most points are taking at least one hour. We usually go up thru Vermont to Montreal on Route 89. As we crossed a couple of weeks ago I could see the line coming back, this was a Saturday, was at least 2 miles long. We came back a week later from Montreal, taking route 10 over to Canadian route 55 south, which crosses at Derby Vt and turns into US interstate 91. There are a couple of very rural crossing in VT and NH, though I've recently heard people are more harrasssed if taking these crossings. Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas.