We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cannabis

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
Cannabis

Planning on booking a trip to Montreal in September and wondering if we will be able to purchase cannabis? Is the city planning on banning it?

6 replies to this topic
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
1. Re: Cannabis

It has been legalized on a national level... so no.

In Quebec and Montreal you must buy it from the SQDC. A subdivision of the SAQ.

Smoking pot is banned anywhere smoking is prohibited and a few other areas. (9m from any doorway, air vent or window, no smoking on restaurant terraces, not in certain public spaces, etc.)

We advise you to pay cash. Not sure of its true but rumors are that US border security can see credit card purchases if it's a US credit card. And they are really strict. So don't try to bring it back home.

Right now the minimum age is 18 in province of Quebec. Like alcohol and gambling. There was talk of raising the age for cannabis to 21 but no official plans by provincial government.

Edited: 8:53 pm, February 08, 2019
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
47,602 posts
856 reviews
491 helpful votes
2. Re: Cannabis

I pretty much 100% sure that border staff has zero access to your credit card information. This is an urban legend. In any case, it is legal in many states including in Vermont just across the border. Despite this, it remains illegal to take any over the border, even between Quebec and Vermont.

Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
21,607 posts
28 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Cannabis

At the present time there is a supply problem to keep the few legal stores stocked up. So you are looking at street level acquisition unless things change in the legal supply. When you have it is legal to consume.

The reason that crossing the border with any product as minuscule as 1 seed is that the border is US federal jurisdiction. The federal laws apply at the border and not the state laws that might make it legal.

Durham, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Cannabis

No desire to bring any home, just want to enjoy while on vacation. Ive read about the supply issue. We won't be coming until September so maybe by then supply will be back to normal. Do they only sell bud at say any of the stores downtown?

Greenville, North...
4 posts
5. Re: Cannabis

Perfect question, Lisa! Coincidentally, my girlfriend and I are also from North Carolina (Greenville) and we’re going up there Feb 12th-16th. I’m hoping cannabis will be available, albeit it’s not essential. I’ll do my best to report back my findings (even though you’re going in September)!

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Montreal
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
6. Re: Cannabis

I imagine that by September the supply problems will be solved. More and more legal growers are filling the void.

And more SQDC stores are being built. So there will be more options besides downtown. SQDC stores are standalone stores, even if they are a subdivision of the SAQ. They did not want to sell weed and alcohol in the same place.

Edited: 9:43 am, February 09, 2019
Reply to: Cannabis
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted