We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Economical Places to eat in downtown montreal

spartanburg, south...
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Economical Places to eat in downtown montreal

Good morning,

I need economical places to eat in downtown Montreal for a family of 4 or public transportation for eating places.

Also would like a romantic place for my husband and I for our 10th anniversary with a view between $100 and $125.00.

Thanks,

Hurtt

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Economical Places to eat in downtown montreal

Try St-Hubert BBQ. a local chain that features BBQ chicken and other food. Just google it to find the web site.

Hotel: I can't recommend anything I aprove of in that price range.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Economical Places to eat in downtown montreal

For accomodation, B&B's might be just what you are looking for: romantic, cozy and affordable.

You can find a number of them here. Check their individual pages to get a feel for them:

www.bbcanada.com/quebec/montr%E9al/montreal

For family dining, it's hard to make a recommendation not knowing how old the kids are nor what your tastes are. ie. Bar & grill does the trick ? (Indiana's bar & grill, 2001 University, McGill metro station). Or a smoked meat joint (Dunn's bar & grill, 1219 Phillips Square, Peel metro station). Or are you open to an indian buffet (ex: buffet Maharadja, 1481 Rene-Levesque west, Guy-Concordia metro station). Or a Chinese buffet? (Jade Garden, 67 de la Gauchetière west, St-Laurent metro station).

All of the above are downtown.

You can also help yourself with this search engine:

http://www.qdg.ca/restaurants.aspx

Cheers and welcome!

spartanburg, south...
Level Contributor
15 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Economical Places to eat in downtown montreal

Thanks so much.

The ages are son 14 and daughter 25. Son is the pickest eater. He will eat hamburgers, steak, ribs, salmon and chicken fingers of course french fries. But does not like sauces on his meat.

Also we would like to spend $10.00 on breakfast each. $10.00 for lunch and $20.00 each for dinner.

We are truly on a budget.

Also can any one tell me anything about the Courtyard Marriott. It was the only hotel that I could find that was smoke free and with out pets.

Thanks again you guys are wonderful.

Brenda

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Economical Places to eat in downtown montreal

I cannot help you much with hotels, being a local. Note that all common areas in hotels should be smoke free: there is a ban on smoking in public places (including bars, like in NYC) since May 2006. To my knowledge, the only exceptions are: outside on the street and inside hotel rooms.

The 4 places I listed (Indiana's; Dunn's; Majaraja buffet; Jade Garden) should not set you back more than $20/each for dinner.

The search engine I provided for restaurants should help you navigate downtown restaurants for breakfast and lunch. $10 for breakfast and $10 for lunch is going to be a challenge. - That will limit you to greasy spoon diners (bkfst) and cafés (lunch). Difficult, but not impossible.

Another way to achieve this is to consider renting something with a kitchen and cooking.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Economical Places to eat in downtown montreal

Oh, for less than $10, Lebanese places will get you good and healthy lunches. (ie. there are several of them all around downtown).

Paris, France
Level Contributor
4 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Economical Places to eat in downtown montreal

If you like Chinese Buffets, YUAN at the corner of St-Denis and Sherbrooke is excellent ($6.99 all you can eat).

Cora is a breakfast/brunch place with several locations in town.

Lots of pizza places with slices for a couple of dollars especially along Sainte-Catherine street.

Walk around Saint-Denis street between Sainte-Catherine and Sherbrooke. You'll find lots of lebanese, italian, fast food, etc. restaurant there. There is a university nearby and they are used to cater for crowds on a budget.

Enjoy your trip!