We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quebec road trip with dogs

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Quebec road trip with dogs

Hi! Myself (28) and husband (34) are in the beginning planning stages of a potential road trip from Detroit to Quebec City in mid-September. We have decided, however, that we would like to travel with our dogs. The first a 5-year old 6 kg Pomeranian and the second, a 2-year old 22 kg hound/lab mix. We thought of renting a RV and staying at RV parks but I think we would rather just travel in our SUV and stay in pet-friendly accommodations. The trip is tentatively scheduled for Sept 15-25. I was thinking we would make our way to Toronto the first night and stay in a simple hotel then make our way to Montreal where we would stay 3 or 4 nights. I've been pretty successful so far in finding pet-friendly rentals within walking distance of Old Montreal. We would like to be able to leave our dogs crated for a few hours at a time if we decide to visit museums, etc. Next stop would be Quebec City. I have not found any suitable rentals and again, would like to be able to leave our dogs unattended for short periods, so this excludes most hotels. On our way back, I thought a stop for 1-2 nights nearby the Laurentians where we could enjoy some hiking would be nice.

Any thoughts on this potential itinerary? I am not familiar with Quebec at all and would like some input on feasibility. Where should we spend most of our time? Is the province dog-friendly? Any tips/suggestions as to where to stay, esp. for Quebec City? Thanks in advance!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
778 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quebec road trip with dogs

This may be of help:

www.petfriendly.ca/rentals.php…

Old Montreal
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Quebec road trip with dogs

I believe that the province is as pet friendly as any other. Personally, I avoid pet friendly hotels - hotels are filthy enough as it is and the prospect of animals having been in my hotel room is a real turn off. I know that the Loews has a per friendly policy and this is a great hotel in a great location. Just don't eat at their restaurants -la societe. Lipstick on a pig is how I would characterize it.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quebec road trip with dogs

Dogs are NOT allowed in National Parks.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quebec road trip with dogs

Thanks. Ideally we would find a rental apt or condo.

Montreal
Level Contributor
4,686 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quebec road trip with dogs

You can take a look at this website: every legal rental for the province is listed here: bonjourquebec.com/us-en/hebergement-restaura…

SE Ontario
Level Contributor
21,367 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quebec road trip with dogs

Just to clarify josee's comment above ... dogs are not allowed in Quebec's national parks. They are allowed - leashed - in Canada's national parks. What Quebec calls a national park is what would be called a provincial park in other provinces. There are both Canadian and Quebec National parks in Quebec.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quebec road trip with dogs

Thank you for the clarification. I'm not sure I would have known that.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
76,273 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quebec road trip with dogs

Hi Happytraveler484;

I can't help you with your question about visiting Quebec, but I would hate to see your vacation ruined over something like paperwork.

Make sure that your dog has had all its shots, and bring proof of them with you. Canada Border Services Agency (Customs) may ask for the paperwork, or deny entry to the animal. A dog tag is NOT sufficient proof of vaccination.

Animals entering Canada fall under the jurisdiction of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. For additional information about bringing your pet into Canada, I would suggest reading their FAQ page;

inspection.gc.ca/english/…canqueste.shtml

Best Regards

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
36 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quebec road trip with dogs

Thanks! Looks like since we are coming from the US and my dogs are both > 8 mos. I will need proof of rabies vaccination from their vet. Also, I can bring up to 20kg of their food (Frohm) since it's made in the U.S. This is a great discussion, thanks for everyone's input!

10. Re: Quebec road trip with dogs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, June 05, 2015