We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Quebec City going east and back

Toronto, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
From Quebec City going east and back

Hello,

We are planning to spend 7-9 days starting from Quebec City going east. Should we drive clockwise (ie. north shore) and take ferry across the St Lawrence and return to QC on the south shore or anti-clockwise? Does it make any difference?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

M

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,435 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Quebec City going east and back

It doesn't really make a difference but with 9 days I woud head straight from Québec City to the Gaspé area and do the whole loop of the Peninsula. Upon return you could take one of the ferries if you intend to see some of the north coast but you could cut it short and just drive back on the south shore highway. Charlevoix is very nice and picturesque but for scenery the Gaspé Peninsula (do not coufound with Lower Saint-Lawrence) wins hands down + restaurants and lodging are usually less expensive.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
544 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Quebec City going east and back

I agree with Rick If i were doing that trip i'd go from Quebec City and do the Gaspe Peninsula in a clockwise direction, then at Carlton come up through the middle of the peninsula on the trans Gaspesian highway (I think its rt299) head for Matane again and take the ferry across to either Godbout or Baie Comeau then take the road back to Quebec City.

Edited: 10:32 am, May 13, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,435 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Quebec City going east and back

Just to add that if you stay on the south shore you can go to Québec City faster by the same highway (20) as you have used at the begining of the tour. Lower Saint-Lawrence is a bit less impressive than Charlevoix and definetely less than the Gaspé but it is still worth a second look coming from the other direction, that's for sure if Charlevois is not on your must do list.

Note that you can go whale watching from the south shore too. From Rivière-du-Loup the boat will cross the Saint-Lawrence and go into the exact same area as those boats departing from the north shore. There are also some zodiacs excursions from Percé but the encounters are definetely less likely but you will certainly see other marine mammals and a zillonth sea birds..

The road around the Peninsula and in the Temicouata Valley is alway 132 making the full loop, returning on the south shore of the Saint-Lawrence in Mont-Joli.

Note that Google Maps suggest another drive back from, let's say Bonaventure to Québec City through a bit of New-Brunswick. It seems that it will then take half an hour less but it won't be so picturesque. That's with highway 2 in New-Brunswick becoming 185 in Québec.

4. Re: From Quebec City going east and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, May 15, 2014